Controller, 5 Live
The Controller of Radio 5 Live is responsible for this national station broadcasting News, Sport, Interviews and phone-in’s. The station has also commissioned podcasts that are both critically acclaimed and popular with the audience. You will be responsible for commissioning distinctive, innovative content for the linear station and podcasts, working in in close collaboration with BBC Sounds.
This is a senior creative leader role in the BBC and part of the team leading the Radio and Education division and responsible for ensuring the BBC’s News and Sport content can meet the changing needs of all audiences in a competitive landscape.
We are looking for an outstanding and inspirational leader with a passionate commitment to growing the reputation, creativity and innovation of BBC Radio 5 Live.
You will work collaboratively with BBC Sport, BBC News and BBC Sounds, to ensure the station’s output meets the needs of all audiences and attracts new people to the station and digital products.
You will provide creative and editorial leadership to in-house and independent production communities.
You will articulate the creative vision and strategy for the network and be responsible for commissioning content for Radio 5 Live and BBC Sounds to reach new and existing audiences.
You will secure major sports rights for the station working in close collaboration with BBC Sport.
Are you the right candidate?
- A proven senior leader with an inclusive leadership style, you’ll bring extensive knowledge of News, Sport and audiences in the Radio landscape in the UK.
- Outstanding thought leadership, creativity, innovation and an ability to set a clear and compelling purpose and direction for the future of the network.
- In-depth knowledge of Radio 5 Live content and its audience, with the ability to apply objective and rigorous editorial judgement across news & sport network portfolio
- You will have an in-depth understanding of the sector, external competitive landscape and current market trends, and you’ll be collaborative and able to nurture creativity within your wider team.
- You will be a champion for diversity and inclusion, on and off air.
- You will have outstanding leadership and communication skills, experienced in managing and influencing diverse senior stakeholders, delivering change, whilst inspiring teams to follow a clear vision
Interviews are likely to be held in the week commencing the 9th Sept and in will be in Salford.
Candidates shortlisted for interview will be asked to present a short paper articulating their vision and strategy for Radio 5 Live
Contract type: Continuing contract
Location: MediaCityUK, Salford
Interviews are likely to be held in the week commencing the 16th Sept and in will be in Salford.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here