Join BBC Worldwide as our new Corporate Lawyer.
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in, commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world. Keen to capitalise on our consistent growth, we are looking to appoint a high calibre professional to join us as our new Lawyer.
This role provides legal and business affairs support to all BBCW divisions in respect of corporate and large commercial transactions. The role will involve a variety of skills including drafting, negotiating and advising on restructures, disposals, acquisitions and investments. It is a broad role that involves both transactional and advisory work and sits in the Business & Legal Affairs, Group Legal team.
- To provide legal advice on acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures and other forms of corporate transactions entered into by the BBCW group.
- To draft, negotiate and advise on corporate transactions, liaising with external counsel and other members of the Corporate Legal team as appropriate.
- To support the Corporate Legal team generally with large scale corporate and commercial projects, including with the preparation and management of data rooms, due diligence exercises, simple property agreements and service agreements.
- To ensure that all necessary internal approvals for transactions are secured in a timely and efficient manner.
- Helping revise and develop precedents, training, advice notes and other documentation.
- To work with other areas of the business on rolling out training relating to corporate matters.
- To research, analyse and assist in the implementation of firm wide policies of a corporate nature.
Are you the right candidate?
- Qualified solicitor or barrister - up to 2 years PQE desirable but not essential.
- Experience in corporate transactions including drafting and reviewing shareholders’ agreements, articles of association and/or sale and purchase agreements.
- Experience of drafting and negotiating simple contracts including confidentiality agreements, exclusivity letters and powers of attorney
- An appetite for broadening their expertise to/experience in drafting and negotiating other corporate and commercial transactions
- Sound understanding of English contract law and intellectual property rights.
- Understanding of the media industry, particularly in relation to television production companies is desirable.
About the BBC
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in; commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world, In 2014/15, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £138.6m and headline sales of £1,001.8m with £226.5m returns to the BBC. The UK region delivers nearly a third of BBCW’s revenues (c£361.8m), across a broad range of sectors, including Channels, TV Distribution, Consumer Products, Live Events, Publishing and e-Commerc