The Economics and Business Centre is part of BBC Newsgathering – which provides news reports for television, radio and online/mobile platforms both in the UK and internationally. The Economics and Business Centre provides video, audio and online content of the highest possible editorial and technical standard.
We report stories of regional and global importance, providing insightful analysis for audiences in English and local languages. We have the highest editorial and technical standards.
The India business team has staff in Mumbai and Delhi and they regularly travel around the country and region. They report on news events as well as their own exclusive stories and interviews. There is a strong focus on experimenting with new forms of story-telling for digital audiences and providing analysis of the major themes in global business and economics.
As a Correspondent/Reporter, you will be joining a team which covers business news in South Asia. You will be primarily responsible for writing and producing India business news text pieces in English for Indian Language Services and on occasion, the English-language international website. You will be expected to write daily news and analysis as well as business feature stories.
Occasionally, you will provide timely, expert and authoritative coverage across TV, Online, Mobile and Radio platforms.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience as a journalist in print/online and preferably TV
- Fluency in spoken and written English and spoken Hindi at a professional level is essential. Knowledge of another Indian language would be an advantage.
- Outstanding knowledge of business and economic affairs in South Asia, and strong news judgement
- Fast writer who can respond quickly to news stories
- Creative journalist who knows how to write business stories in an engaging way for our audience in South Asia and beyond
- A self-starter who can work independently
- Ability to work cooperatively within a small team of journalists in a high-pressure environment
- A demonstrable understanding of the requirements of TV, radio and online/mobile journalism
Please view the full Job Description for more information.
Contract: Fixed term contract for 6 months
Local terms and conditions apply
Location: Mumbai, India
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in India.
Please note - interviews for this position will be held on 12th and 13th December.
About the Company
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here