This is an exciting opportunity to lead a thriving audio production company in the heart of BBC Studios. You will manage a group of award-winning audio producers who specialise in making comedy and entertainment content for Radio 4, BBC Sounds and beyond. This is a chance to champion the work of new and emerging talent as well as work with some of the all-time greats and help producers fulfil their potential and deliver the best possible results. We are at a period of growth where we are exploring new commercial opportunities and you can be part of the team that lead that new direction, as well as ensuring the shows that we deliver to Radio 4 are of the highest possible quality.
There is an opportunity to work closely with TV colleagues – after all this is the department that has over the years seen Little Britain, Miranda Hart’s Joke Shop and Ladhood make the transition from radio to TV and we want to foster more of that collaboration.
The team currently produce about 150 hours of radio and audio content yearly including satire, stand-up, sketch, panel, sit-com, drama, chat and factual entertainment.
We produce hugely popular long-running titles such as 'The News Quiz', ‘The Now Show and ‘'Just a Minute' alongside shows like Bridget Christie: Mortal, Rhysearch, Sarah Keyworth: Are You A Boy or a Girl?, The Damien Slash Mixtape, Drop the Dead Panda, Daliso Chaponda’s Citizen of Nowhere, 'Sarah Kendall’s Australian Trilogy' to name but a few.
Podcast-wise we also make Inside Inside No. 9, Eddie Hearn: No Passion No Point, Sorted with the Dyers, Rose and Rosie: Parental Guidance and Doctor Who: Redacted with various others under commission and in development for BBC Sounds and beyond. Expansion in the podcast space is a key objective for the team and we’d love you to bring insight of work in this area.
- To lead the audio team within BBC Studios and make it a place where everyone wants to do their best work
- To tactfully and creatively feedback on producers’ ideas, scripts, casting and edits
- To be an expert in radio and podcasting and be alert to ideas with potential for TV transfer
- To be a smart and friendly team leader who can take feedback and challenges in their stride and lead by example
- To encourage your team to create compelling content that audiences love
- To be creatively ambitious, open to ideas, pushing for creativity and innovation in content
- To understand the tone and nature of podcasts and offer guidance and feedback with confidence on developing podcast ideas
- To enjoy the process of solving problems, and find solutions with humour and energy
- To create an atmosphere within teams where new ideas are encouraged and are constantly created and developed
- To facilitate collaborative working with TV and digital colleagues and make the most of our talent and content
- To provide positive leadership, embrace change and demonstrate resilience
- To champion diversity in all its forms in the team and in the content
- Be responsible for the creativity and development of teams working on all platforms, building an innovative environment for content making and creativity
- To lead the development of new ideas from production
- Oversight of the editorial team including line managing two executive producers and the wider management of the team
- To work with the Head of Comedy and other stakeholders to understand their strategy and ensures those strategies are shared with and understood by the team
- Responsible for ensuring that programmes made by production teams are of the highest standard and compliant with all relevant legal, editorial and health & safety requirements and that staff are properly trained and clear about their responsibilities
- Working with Commissioners to respond effectively to briefs and secure commissions
- Development and oversight of commercial opportunities, as required
- Collaboration with, and leadership of, divisional and pan-BBC projects
- To inspire, encourage and develop staff members
- To set objectives for the teams and actively manage performance
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role you will required the relevant experience:
- Demonstrable passion for creating comedy and entertainment content
- Significant experience in production at editor level
- A thorough knowledge of the entertainment audio marketplace
- A proven track record in creative and editorial achievement
- Strong experience of developing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external partners
- Effective planning and organising skills. Ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, prioritising, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities
- Evidence and experience of leadership and management
- Able to demonstrate strong editorial judgement in a fast moving environment
- A track record of realising creative ideas from conception to reality within the constraints of limited resources, problem solving and challenging deadlines
- Proven experience of developing, leading and managing the performance of teams at a senior level
- Experience of being able to work strategically, using lateral thinking and quick decision making skills, challenging assumptions and developing and driving forward new ways of working
- Able to manage emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations or needing to make difficult decisions
- Alert to commercial opportunities as well as an understanding of the Radio 4 comedy landscape
Contract: 12 Month FTC / Attachment
We are really proud to share that we are a Level 2 Disability Confident Employer and so if you require any reasonable adjustments in order to apply please do contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org with ref: BBC/TP/224227/60576 in the subject.
We advertise all our roles on Evenbreak, the specialist job board for disabled candidates.
PLEASE NOTE: THE INTERVIEWS FOR THIS ROLE WILL TAKE PLACE W/C 23rd MAY 2022
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here