We are seeking a Creative Director who will take our Design Research function from merely excellent to properly amazing.
Our small team of Design Researchers are experienced, creative, authoritative and supportive. This team balances a function that requires them to both explore new methods as well as make the most of our existing ways of listening to and delivering on our different audiences needs. As well as leading on specific projects themselves, they have established themselves as coaches to the rest of our 120-strong User Experience & Design team bring Design Research into their everyday practise. They bring innovative and insightful research to life in order to make our experiences as close to our users needs and desires as possible.
You can be and do all of those things, but you are also an inspiring leader, with an ability to see what could happen, and then make that a reality. You are collaborative, passionate about developing people and changing things for the better.
The UX&D team makes user experiences for the BBC that are human-centred, consistent and delightful. Our work reaches huge audiences and wins awards.
The Design Research team designs and carries out research with users to help us make the best user experiences. Its a small team, and theres a lot of research, so we do some ourselves, teach user experience designers and others how to do it, and commission some to carefully selected agencies.
We are the in-house experts, helping teams work out the best methodologies to suit their research objectives, and the best way to achieve them. We are creative in our approach, always seeking to experiment to find more impactful and insightful approaches.
- Help us make the right choices. Use research insight to help our products become more human-centred, consistent and considered.
- Lead our Design Research team, taking care of their individual and team motivation and development. This means regular catch-ups with the whole team and individuals, reviewing performance, and setting goals.
- Figure out the strategy for the Design Research team and make it happen - with the aim of experimenting with new research methods, making the team more capable and influential, and more valuable to the BBC.
- Be a champion for high quality Design Research, within the wider BBC User Experience team, in BBC Digital & Engineering and beyond, and make them able to do it.
- Share your teams work with our community of Creative Directors, Product Owners and Editorial Leads, gleaning the best of their experiences to inform your practice, and influencing them to adopt new ways of learning about our users.
- Collaborate with a community of research specialists from Marketing & Audiences and Research & Development, pooling resources to improve efficiency and knowledge to improve our expertise.
- Be an open door for new trends and approaches from the research industry and academic HCI community, identifying possible opportunities and collaborations.
The Ideal Candidate
Communication this is beyond being able to stand up and speak in front of people, craft a good email or write a great report. You think about who needs to know things or be influenced to change, what the best approach is to reach them, and you continue to work on this in your communication.
Analytical and creative thinking you can think your way through a pile of complex data and can interpret it into a bigger picture. And you can take the bigger picture and see how it applies to the day to day. You can facilitate or lead effective problem solving in meetings and groups
Orientation to learn you actively seek feedback from multiple sources. You contribute to the internal and external community in your areas of expertise
Managing relations and teamwork you are collaborative, and support a collective effort to resolve problems. You can be a mediator or diplomat. You use the individual strengths of your team and your peers to deliver the best results.
Managing and developing people - you value your team members individuality, and develop them to perform at their best. You focus on getting them ready to take their next step on their career ladders. You work out the best ways for your team to deliver the most impact and make this happen.
Planning and organising you set clear goals for your team, and manage the resources you have to meet these goals. You anticipate, plan for and deal with problems.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.