At BBC UX&D we design experiences for the audience of tomorrow, and deliver them to the audience of today. And we’ve won plenty of awards for our efforts. We are a centre of excellence for user experience and design, working with the best in the business to create one coherent service across everything the BBC does online.
The team works to create groundbreaking user experiences across 10 products (BBC Homepage, Search, News, Sport, Weather, Knowledge & Learning, CBeebies, CBBC, iPlayer and Radio & Music). Collaborating strategically with technical, editorial, product and R&D teams from across the BBC, we create elegant, delightful experiences that transcend the barriers between old and new media.
Now we need a creative technologist to join designers and researchers in a ‘New Experiences’ (NEX) team who work with technical, editorial and product teams from across the BBC.
The NEX team is developing a knowledge base and a human-centred design grammar in spatial and immersive design. The BBC’s public service remit is shaping the team’s thinking in this area. The team focuses on three areas: mastery - building up practice and skills in immersive experiences, audience research - understanding users relationship with the new technology and ideas - developing proposition to understand their benefit to audiences. Our role is to work collaboratively across the business to help shape what the future wave of BBC services might look like.
Our current and recent work includes;
- Research into how augmented reality might assist with learning outcomes in education
- Working with our partners to take smartphone AR experiences and translate them to a new range of augmented reality headsets.
- Using immersive technologies to improve internal workflows
- Exploring value propositions for data-driven utility services
- Exploring the future of video
As a creative technologist, you may come from a development background with experience working in design teams, or you may be designer with more technical skills, either way, you have a solid understanding and experience of the 2 fields (UX and development) and how they interrelate. You are motivated by using technology as a means to achieve creative solutions that meet user needs.
The new experiences team is concerned with emerging technologies and experiences and as such, there is a less established production workflow than other areas and you pride yourself in being resourceful, adaptable, and a quick learner. You are able to switch between design thinking and a development mentality as the project requires. Prototyping, experimentation and stretching technology to surprise and excite people is your forte
The Ideal Candidate
The list of required skills for this role are broad and flexible, but there is an emphasis on experience and skills in the areas of VR / AR / 3D modelling. We are seeking someone with:
- Experience of working in a range of emerging technology fields with demonstrable results in creating innovative experiences.
- Experience with general web technologies and frameworks for prototyping
- Experience designing and developing for spatial and immersive experiences (XR).
- Experience working with ‘immersive’ technologies such as;
- Designing/developing in games engines like Unity and/or Unreal (including experience scripting in their respective languages C# & C++)
- Developing prototypes using ARKit and ARCore
- Digital 3D model making. Whether you use Maya, 3DS Max, Blender, Cinema 4D etc. there is an emphasis on creating optimised assets for use in other environments.
- Prototyping/developing with WebGL / WebXR and frameworks built on top of them
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams (including designers, developers, product managers) to conceptualise and deliver great experiences.
- Experience communicating with people in and out of the design/development fields
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here