The BBC World Service delivers News in 42 languages across the world. These are brought over different channels, including linear like TV or radio and digital channels including website and a selection of social media platforms. The various channels provide News in written, audio and video formats. All of this combined results in a complex system of News and the way it’s delivered across the countries.
This opportunity lies in the World Service Audiences Insight team, where you’ll be joining an international team of researchers, data analysts and data scientists. The team uses qualitative, quantitative and data science methodologies to understand and report on its audiences and markets around the world. Depending on the nature of business question being answered, projects can use multiple methodologies acrosss qualitative, quantitative and data science methods.
The team carries out audience and provide constructive feedback to editorial teams and recommends strategies to the business.
- Experience in data engineering patterns and constructs e.g. Data Warehouse, Data Lake, ETL, MapReduce
- Database experience for both structured and unstructured databases
- Cloud experience - preferably AWS and setup and management of data storage solutions.
- Experience in automation as well as finding and integrating available data sources, including experience in data quality assessment and validation
- Some experience with relational database internals, including both query processing and query planning, or other data processing infrastructure
- Some experience in programming languages - preferably Python
- Some experience in machine learning
- Flexibility and ability to work in parallel on different projects
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- A good balance of working in a team and autonomously
- Analytical thinking and a solution-driven mind
The Ideal Candidate
- Will be able to translate a non-technical requirements into technical solutions
- Will be able to manage a project through the whole project lifecycle
- Is comfortable with communicating results and outcomes to stakeholders in non technical language
Contract type: 12 month FTC
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here