Data Engineer - Sequence (Flexible to Location)
The BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.
Sequence is an exciting new pan-BBC business change and technology programme, expected to run for the next 3 years and transform resource management at the BBC. The programme will design and deliver standardised ways of working and sustainable, scalable technologies covering the following operationally critical activities:
- Resource Scheduling: day-to-day operationally critical planning for content and support
- Time Management: application of new employee Terms and Conditions; management of Leave & Absence; calculation and automation of additional payments; management of TOIL; automation of cost recoveries
- Capacity Planning: mid to long term strategic resource planning
- Management Information: richer, trusted, centralised data to inform strategic
Programme scope includes new Target Operating Models and the implementation of new functionality within the existing SAP HR system, plus the procurement and implementation of a new resource scheduling system.
As a Data Engineer within the Sequence programme team you will work with other programme team members to design and implement data solutions in line with the project schedules. There is also a requirement to design and deliver the related roles and authorisation changes throughout the project lifecycle and to define the user roles required for each release, working with the Business Systems Data & Access Control team to build and assign these roles in the SAP GRC system and the Sequence delivered solutions.
Key responsibilities are:
- Managing the Data workstream, including:
- Defining overarching data strategy for the Programme & sub-projects/releases.
- Taking over & managing data collection initiatives (i.e. Work Schedules collection & cleanse).
- Managing Data Migration for all projects (Collection, Transformation, Loading), including data decommission on legacy systems.
- Supporting all Test cycles with a Data migration / conversion testing stream.
- To both define, manage and execute all data-related activities.
- Responsibility for Design & Delivery of any Roles & Authorisations changes required throughout the course of the Sequence Releases, including supporting test phases for role-related testing requirements
Are you the right candidate?
Previous experience in a data engineer role on high-profile transformational technology and change programmes, ideally involving leave & absence and/or resource planning tools and in a broadcast and/or technology environment
An in-depth understanding of how to solve data problems and develop innovative data solutions
Advanced relationship management skills, including a track record of collaboration and influence
The ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels in an organisation
Experience of managing roles and authorisations, including identifying and mitigating segregation of duty conflicts, and ensuring data protection standards are upheld
An enthusiasm for working at the BBC
Location: Flexible - London, Birmingham, Salford or Cardiff.
We’re happy to discuss flexible and part time working.
Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application.
There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to.
Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible or part time 20-35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC.