This role sits within the Data Insight team, but day to day is embedded within the Research & Measurement Data (RMD) team within Audience Platform.
RMD is delivered as part of the BBC audience platform, is responsible for the ingestion, transformation and provision of research and measurement data such as BARB, RAJAR and BBC specific datasets developed in large ongoing survey panels. The data is utilised for insights, analytics, and personalisation of the audience experience, data innovation. The team is also involved in the support and “productisation” of the backend for many of the BBC BI solutions built within Tableau and Alteryx.
The role will be focusing on data ingestion, automation, cleansing, blending and ETL/ELT tasks using mainly Alteryx and tools from Cloud Platform.
This role will be central to establishing a better understanding of different datasets from external and internal, to set out data acquisition approaches from different sources, to support insight teams to accelerate the data needed to move from idea to implementation, and to build up data management knowledge and best practices to enable the BBC to use data to drive a new and deeper relationship with its audiences.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Work with different teams to identify detailed data requirements - specifically data integration, data quality, and data transformation requirements
- Define data sourcing options and solutions, specifically the identification of data availability gaps, and identify the preferred data sourcing approach for each data requirement
- Extracting, transforming and loading data to support prototyping and trialling of new services and BI dashboards
- Producing ad-hoc data extracts and reports on data from a wide variety of systems
Are you the right candidate?
- Relevant experience working in data centric projects in either a data engineer, data analyst or data architect role
- Experience working in agile environment such as SCRUM and Kanban
- Experience of conducting analytics with large data sets structured and unstructured
- Experience of conducting data analytics with cloud based technologies (preferably AWS or Google Cloud)
- Experience of using tools such as Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Impala, Python, Java, R and SQL
- Deep experience doing data analytics against relational databases and a good understanding of relational database management concepts as well as data modelling
- Proven experience working within environments with a diverse data landscape
- Proven experience working with business and data analysts to translate data requirements into functional specifications to enable the building of data platforms
If it sounds like you, even if you don't tick all the boxes, we would love to hear from you!
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.