The BBC aims to stimulate and delight audiences across the UK with distinctive, creative content. To support this aim, BBC is entering a new charter period of significant and exciting change, developing new capabilities in order to define a BBC fit for the next generation.
OUR MISSION: To inform, educate and entertain all audiences, to deliver our public purposes
OUR AIM: To reinvent the BBC for a new generation
We’ll do this through... OUR AMBITIONS: Making sure everyone gets value from the BBC, world-class creativity, global reach, financial stability and making the BBC an even greater place to work.
Individuals within the Data Manager role are responsible for the performance, integrity and security of a database. They will also be involved in the planning and development of the database, as well as troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users. The role makes sure that data remains consistent across the database, is clearly defined, can be accessed concurrently by users, in a form that suits their needs and there is provision for data security and recovery control, where all data is retrievable in an emergency.
As a Data Manager you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to ensure that the BBC’s data management, analytics and data science services are implemented and matured in the area that you support to transform business capabilities and enable the next generation of Broadcast and Digital services.
You will be a subject matter expert in your field with specialist domain expertise in at least one technology, software, infrastructure, application, digital or broadcast and production domain. You will provide knowledge and guidance to multiple stakeholders. You will have an appreciation of how the complete range of data management, analytics and science specialisms impact your area, and you will use this knowledge to ensure you deliver data-driven change, improve decision making and creative reuse of assets across the area that you support.
- Analyse data to extract reports and documents to support business insight, validate workflows, and identify pitfalls.
- Maintain database documentation, including definitions, description of procedures, and rationale.
- Maintain data standards, including adherence to the data governance, information security and privacy policies.
- Consider both back-end organisation of data and front-end accessibility for end-users.
- Communicate regularly with technical, applications, and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security.
- Establish the access needs of users, control permissions and privileges, and monitor user access and security.
- Define parameters to evaluate data quality, and implement steps to improve it.
- Support refinement of the logical and physical data design to meet system storage and performance requirements.
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualification in computer science, computer engineering, information technology other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience
- Significant data/database administration, data management, or data engineering experience.
- Experience in engineering (commercial or open source) software platforms and large-scale data infrastructures.
- Significant knowledge of data modelling, and understanding of different data structures, their benefits and limitations under particular use cases
- Strong experience working hands-on with big data systems and experience with monitoring, backup, and disaster recovery of data systems.
- Good knowledge of different data programming or structured querying language.
- Experience of working collaboratively and facilitate communication across a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Strong inquisitive attitude, and interest in BBC products.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Contributing to the development of area of specialism or industry domain
- Broadcast, production, start-up or media experience
- A mix of public sector and commercial experience
- Participation in published documents within your area of specialism
- Successful academic background in your specialist discipline
- Experience in development of data processing, analysis, and/or visualisation
Salary band = D (Permanent role)
Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, healthcare, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.