Individuals within the Data Manager role are responsible for the integrity, quality and user access of data. They will also be involved in the planning and development of data infrastructure, as well as troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users. The role makes sure that data remains consistent across the system, is clearly defined and can be accessed by users in a form that suits their needs.
BBC Platform’s Audience Data team operate the BBC Single Customer View, a data platform ingesting over a billion analytics events a day from across the BBC online estate and accommodating over 40 million customer profiles. The platform is hosted in AWS cloud, is comprised of many different data processing and storage technologies and incorporates a variety of additional datasets and sources.
As a Data Manager you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to ensure that the BBC’s Single Customer View is implemented and matured to transform business capabilities and enable the next generation of Broadcast and Digital services. The role provides a good foundation for career progression towards data engineering and data architecture.
- Onboard and offboard data platform users, control access permissions, privileges and provide on-going support
- Become an expert in the analytics data domain and communicate regularly with analytics, operational and product staff
- Create and maintain data definitions, data mappings and support integration projects
- Maintain and adhere to data standards and information security and operational privacy policies
- Perform data matching exercises and interrogate data to support business insight, validate workflows, and identify issues
Are you the right candidate?
- Good knowledge of SQL and database programming
- Significant data management or data engineering experience
- Significant knowledge of data modelling and understanding of different data structures
- Experience configuring, managing and maintaining Alteryx workflows
- Experience configuring and managing Tableau Server
- Hands-on experience with AWS Redshift and big data systems
- Experience of programming using scripting languages
- Knowledge of data protection, privacy and compliance principles
- Familiarity with agile or other rapid application development methods
- Analytics, broadcast, production, start-up or media work history
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here