Data Migration Analyst - WhatsOn Phase 2
The BBC went live with WhatsOn for BBC public service linear TV services in January 2018. This has opened up the opportunity to extend the use of WhatsOn both within the current user base and for the other BBC Divisions and business workflows.
The Data Migration Developer role is to work with the Global News Implementation team, TV Business Systems Data Architect and MediaGeniX to act as the central hub for designing, developing and testing the extract and transformation of data from Global News current BMS using a combination of Oracle SQL PL/SQL and a proprietary tool
- Analysing the business information needs of Global News and mapping this to their existing and new systems
- Ensuring the Business Information needs are developed in the migration solution.
- Building intermediate database extract and transformation scripts
- Building test and data validation scripts to test the data migration
- Testing the data extract
- Smoke testing the production version of the new system
- Working with the Global News business community and MediaGeniX development team on any other aspects of the data migration work stream in the BMS Implementation Phase
Are you the right candidate?
- Extensive experience of working in a complex, multi-priority organisation
- Proven development skills of data migration scripts
- Experience of working within delivery teams for projects of significant size
- Experience of Oracle databases and PL/SQL and XML
- Proven analytical ability, particularly for Business Information requirements and presenting proposed solutions in an easily digestible format for users and stakeholders
- Proven attention to detail within analysis, development and testing work
12 month Fixed Term Contract/Attachment
- Excellent career progression: the BBC offers great opportunities for staff to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities: our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community: we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical opportunities: We work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, healthcare, gym and much more.
About the BBC
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.