Designer, BBC News
The Visual & Data Journalism team is a multi-platform unit within BBC News. The team brings together online designers, TV designers, developers and journalists to provide compelling visual coverage of the biggest and most significant stories.
We use our skill and creativity to engage and inform our audiences using information graphics, data visualisations, motion graphics and multimedia storytelling.
The Designer will develop and deliver content such as data visualisations, diagrams, maps and ideally animations, ensuring that this achieves the highest creative and editorial standards with adherence to BBC guidelines.
They are responsible for translating user needs into innovative, inclusive, desirable and value adding digital experiences across multiple platforms.
They will work in collaboration with other Designers, Data Journalists, Visual Journalists and developers across platforms & languages.
Are you the right candidate?
The successful Candidate will have:
- Experience collaborating with a broad range of people such as: Designers, Journalists, Data Journalists, Product Managers and Developers.
- Experience of working on urgent design request as well as working across a broader design process, from design brief, investigating the design challenge, discovering solutions, testing solutions and delivering final design solutions.
- Experience creating maps, diagrams, illustrations interactive data applications and animations to explain a range of complex stories to a multiplatform audience.
- Experience of using Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch and Marvel.
- Genuine interest in News and current affairs.
Contract type: Part time 12 month attachment/ftc (2 days per week)
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here