The News Design team is responsible for the Design of all BBC News content and storytelling formats.
We serve a domestic and international audience and design across a range of platforms: The BBC News website and App, Social Media and BBC TV News programmes such as One, Six and Ten bulletins, the BBC News channel, BBC World News, BBC Arabic, BBC Persian and Language Services as well as many other current affairs and political programmes including Focus on Africa and Newsnight.
As a multiplatform design team, we have a range of skills from UX Design, Motion Design, Visual Design, 3D and Data Visualisation.
We work in close collaboration with journalists, data journalists, producers, developers, studio directors, marketing and other design teams.
This is an incredible opportunity for an outstanding creative individual, a talented designer with an interest in News and storytelling who is brimming with ideas and design solutions.
We are a 24-hour, 7 days a week operation based at New Broadcasting House.
This role will involve shift working which will include earlies, lates, weekends and Bank Holidays.
As a Motion Designer in Visual Journalism, you’ll be working creatively every day with Editorial teams, producing video graphics, infographics & screen graphics across all the outputs of BBC News using Adobe CC and a variety of other software.
- Portfolio evidence of excellent design work demonstrating creative flair
- Ability to talk through your design decisions with a diverse range of people, evidence of successfully collaborating and sharing your ideas with absolutely anyone
- An experienced Adobe Creative Suite User, with a particular focus on After Effects
- Knowledge of Cinema 4D and/or other 3D software
- Ability to deliver different approaches and design styles
- Ability to keep pace with the latest design trends and technology developments
- Relevant Degree or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of digital delivery and workflows, delivering for Social Media platforms, Facebook etc would be an advantage
- A thorough knowledge of BBC editorial guidelines and other compliance policies,
- Understanding of the importance of the BBC's values in accuracy and impartiality.
- A passion for and a great understanding of the area in which the role operates
The Ideal Candidate
- As a multiplatform design team, we are looking for people with the ability to design across platforms, so evidence of motion design and UX design would be highly desirable.
- You will need to show a competent level of ability in all the relevant software such as Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator XD etc.
- You will also need to be able to demonstrate innovative creative solutions to design briefs with a keen eye for detail. You will need to show practical and technical creativity with an interest in news and current affairs.
- As part of the application process, we need to see evidence of your best work to demonstrate the full breadth of your design capabilities - this can be a link to a showreel [max 3 minutes long] or a link to your website. You will be asked to provide the link within the application form for this role.
Contract type: 1 x continuing contract & 1 x 12 month attachment/ftc
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in the UK.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here