Happy New Year to you! Put your current employer on notice, shoot your shot and bag a new and fulfilling career @ the BBC.
We are looking for a talented mid-weight Devops Engineer, with a good balance of technical and communication skills to understand requirements and implement suitable technical solutions.
Yours is a vital role as you enable the products and tools that stimulates, emotes and improves our understanding of the stories that we consume. Through the innovation of providing state of the art technology, multi-vendor cloud and distribution services you implement, integrate and connect the tools to provide a seamless user experience that enables the audience to consume and better connect with powerful stories.
We are BBC Digital Distribution (DD) and we are an exciting and pivotal area that powers all BBC Online services. We’re the foundational bedrock that makes all the amazing content, and beloved products and services happen.
Our Team ensures you and the rest of UK population’s experience of BBC web products is never compromised, and you have a wow experience of BBC online every time. The Team is responsible for the development of in-house tools, dashboards, products and 3rd party solutions.
Our in-house designed and enabled products and tools deliver the BBC App / website you interact with to get the latest news or see the latest Football score or whether it is going to rain or be sunny in the morning or see a programme on iPlayer to relax after a hard day’s work.
These tools as well as being used by product teams that develop iPlayer, bbc.co.uk, News, Sport, Weather and Broadcast Engineering are used by our 24 * 7 NOC team.
- Design, engineer/develop & release applications and systems using best practices
- Help improve engineering process and standard and so contribute to a team culture of engineering excellence and continuous improvement.
- Build excellently engineered, high availability solutions to handle huge volumes of traffic.
- Champion new technologies and approaches to ensure BBC products remain world class and adapt to change
- Work closely with our operational support teams to ensure our solutions our supportable, scalable, HA and reliable. Ensure technical quality meets the needs for a fast, reliable, always-on service.
- Writing unit, integration, end-to-end, and visual regression tests, taking a test-driven approach to code and systems quality
- Promote collaborative working, skills and knowledge sharing together with pairing
- Engineering using agile practices
The Ideal Candidate
We’re really open to who you are and what you’ve done.
So whether you currently have a junior title and are ready to step up or are a midweight engineer working on smaller scale programmes there is enough challenge and growth here.
We are keen to speak with people who have experience engineering, developing and supporting systems with modern tools both on-prem and in the cloud, can think out of the box and love problem solving.
- One or more of following:
- Full stack or backend Software development on Linux distribution Platform: Python and/or GO, testing, pipeline/release cycle/QA/AWS, Open-source tools, continuous development/ improvement/ integration, REST/JSON based APIs, OR
- System Engineering on Linux Linux Distribution Platform: troubleshooting, metrics, AWS, monitoring tools preferably TICK stack, cloudwatch etc / scripting, automation, ansible, terraform, docker, HA, open source tools - preferably Tick Stack ie Grafana, Alerta, Influx, AWX, Prometheus etc OR
- 3rd Line Operations and Performance or Site Reliability Engineering – Linux, monitoring tools preferably TICK stack, cloudwatch etc / metrics, AWS, restoring service, High Availability OR
- DevOps: (Linux / AWS or GCP / Python)
The above should be read as one or more not all! As listed above there are a range of backgrounds you can come from so if you fit we want to hear from you!
The team works in a dynamic fashion with opportunities to innovate during regular hack days and was recently singled out for “Innovator of the Year Award” from a list of 60 well-known industry leaders.
We fully expect to support you, dedicate time and resources in your learning and development and also offer a career pathway for you to actualize your potential.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London the Light House
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here