Developer in Test - BBC Platform
Audience Platform is one of the BBC's biggest and most ambitious online projects. Its aim is to create technology solutions and organise data to create a personal BBC for each of our users.
This role is with the BBC Account team. We’re the hub of personalisation across the BBC, and provide the BBC’s core identity and access management service for BBC audiences. We support the delivery of the BBC’s services such as iPlayer, News, Sport, CBBC, Weather and Radio. Our tech stack is largely Java, Node.js and AWS.
We’ve already enabled over 38m people to create a BBC Account, and support peak loads over 3,000 tps. You’ll help us continue to build a secure, scalable and delightful product for the future.
With a background in Test Automation, you will work in collaboration with a cross-functional team to ensure that quality is built into our products from the ground up. You’ll have the exciting challenge of designing, writing, maintaining great code and exploring new types of testing and approaches – from manual exploratory testing to penetration testing.
You will welcome the opportunity to breakdown the traditional barriers between dev and test by playing a key role in the full product feature lifecycle, bringing your skills and expertise to BDD sessions and championing quality through to live release.
Your role as a senior test engineer is a critical one for the team. You’ll have the opportunity to work with a team of brilliant senior test engineers and mentor junior engineers on Java and best practice in testing.
Testing can be varied across the team: from front end UI, RESTful APIs, Performance Testing with the likes of Gatling, and penetration testing.
The tool sets vary, but there's a fair bit of Java, Cucumber, Selenium and Gatling.
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience working in at least one object-oriented language e.g. Java or Ruby
- Experience working with test frameworks such as Cucumber-JVM, RSpec,
- Good understanding of API technologies e.g. RESTfull
- Exposure with any one of the following Continuous Integration tools: Jenkins, Hudson, Team City, Bamboo, Anthillpro
- Experience working within an agile environment in a cross-functional team
- Cookie-based application testing
- TDD or Unit Testing
- Cross-Platform Testing
Contract type: Permanent
Location: White City, London
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here