The Development Coordinator will provide support to the Creative Director and Development Producer of ScriptWorks, BBC Studios’ hub for finding and developing new writing talent. The ScriptWorks team runs the prestigious BBC Studios Writers’ Academy, the recently launched BBC Studios Writers’ Workshop, and the A Thousand Stories script competition for BAME writers, alongside developing new drama series with a number of emerging writers.
- To assist the Creative Lead and Development Producer of the BBC Studios Writers Academy in all areas of their work as directed.
- To assist in the planning and administration of the BBC Studios Writers’ Academy - booking rooms and equipment, editing clips to be used in lectures, sourcing and copying illustrative material, preparing & distributing handouts, preparing purchase orders, managing the payment of writers and guests fees and expenses, collecting and looking after writers and guests.
- To organise events, including venues/speakers, arranging travel and catering, completing risk assessments etc and ensuring the smooth running of these events.
- To occasionally assist with diary management and submitting expenses.
- To help build a social media presence for ScriptWorks.
- To maintain a database of writers and contact lists for new writing organisations and key contacts across the country, as well as a regular round up of new writing events and productions.
- To provide support to the team, including by reading scripts, attending readings/plays by new writers, general research etc.
- To prepare budgets and monitor expenditure for the core team budget and associated projects, liaising with BBC Finance and the wider team.
The Ideal Candidate
At BBC Studios, we seek people who are passionate about who we are and what we do.
- Experience of script reading and writing script reports.
- Knowledge and enthusiasm for the output of the BBC Drama Department.
- Knowledge of current television industry, as well as film, radio, theatre, and fiction.
- Good understanding of all AV formats, software, and equipment and good working knowledge of Final Cut Pro or other editing packages.
- A flexible and positive attitude to work.
- Administrative experience with demonstrable ability to work in a busy office.
- Effective time-management and organisational skills.
- An ability to exercise initiative and to work unsupervised.
- Computer literate, including good working knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint and a familiarity with standard office technology.
Contract: FTC 6 months
Location: TVC, London W12
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more. (UK centric)
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background. We strive to be the best British content company in the world, attracting the best creative talents in the business, so that we can bring premium quality award-winning programmes, content and brands to the viewer no matter where they are.
The BBC Group has set out the first in a new series of bold steps to transform our programming and better represent the public we serve. We have the biggest financial investment to on-air inclusion in the industry, together with our existing commissioning budget, we are committed to throwing open our doors more widely than ever to diverse stories and diverse storytellers. Together with a diverse workforce we will accelerate the pace of change in increasing diversity and inclusion both on and off air
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please visit our website.