Can we interest you in Infrastructure development - in scripts and Ansible; on-prem, hybrid and cloud ready? In instrumentation and monitoring, OS customisation with Ubuntu, Centos or Windows and in VMware or Kubernetes and keep it all secure ? Or maybe Video engineering and hardware customisation? We're learning while doing all these and more.
We decide our road map then design and implement the systems to help our Software engineering team develop and deploy our Jupiter Production System - for live Content production and for the BBC's automated graphics tools.
This role is based in the Systems Engineering Team of Content Production Workflows - Video and Live. We work flexible weekday hours - The team and the hardware is located at BBC Broadcast Centre, 201 Wood Lane, W12 7TQ
The technologies and systems the role will need to design, install and support are varied and ever changing in order to respond to the evolving needs of the software development team.
This means that flexibility and the ability to quickly learn new technologies are absolutely key to this role.
Some of your main responsibilities will be:
- Driving improvements in the operating environment and ensuring alignment with the overall BBC enterprise architecture strategy
- A key role within engineering teams in the planning, design, development, integration, commission and test of media systems.
- Work with project, product and technical leads, contractors and manufacturers to design media systems and create implementable solutions to the business’ technical requirements
- Integrate media systems with existing and new monitoring and support tools
- Write, review and take responsibility for technical documentation as part of project and product delivery
- Contribute to test and resolution of issues throughout the project or the product life cycle – including writing and running detailed test scripts and procedures
- Operate effective processes that support the timely delivery of their maintenance, roadmaps and/or project plans
**Please refer to the Job Description for more information.**
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal person will be an enthusiastic, hands on team player who is open to new ways of working.
Good team working and the ability to quickly adapt new technologies are absolutely key to this role!
It would be really great if you are already skilled with these:
- Building, configuration and optimization of:
- Infrastructure including Jenkins, Kubernetes, Elastic Search, Ansible, Nexus
- Linux and Windows OS including AD and server management.
- Performance metric tools to assess appropriate system design.
- Experience of using best security practices.
- Experience of IP network management
Contract type: Continuing
Location: White City, London W12
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here