Principal Software Engineer – iBL - BBC iPlayer
BBC iPlayer is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved products. Our mission is to be the future of BBC TV. It is an exciting time to join the team as we’ve ambitious goals to be the number one online TV service in the UK. We want to double our reach, and quadrupling the time each person spends on iPlayer every week in the next 3 years.
This is a role in leading a small team of engineers to build the Business Layer of iPlayer where all the data logic happens. We build high traffic API that powers iPlayer across multiple platforms (Web, Mobile, and connected TV apps).
We build tools that helps editorial curate and optimise iPlayer content. More importantly, we tackle product and data problems to make iPlayer more personalised and data driven while keeping the service fast and resilient. We had to handle over 80million API requests every day and growing.
The team has a high degree of autonomy to achieve product objectives. All members of the team play the role of Product and Project Manager as well as being an engineer. If you enjoyed working in an agile, fast-moving environment where everything is built with scale and performance in mind, this is the perfect place for you.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills & Experience
• Highly proficient in building scalable Web Services
• Developing software using TDD/BDD techniques
• Deep understanding of scalable web architecture
• Demonstrable experience of leading large-scale technical projects
Desirable Skills & Experience
• Good working knowledge of Continuous Delivery
• Experienced in DevOps for high-traffic productive services
• Contributions to Open Source Software (e.g. active GitHub profile)
• Technical direction and leadership
• Architecture large-scale projects/initiatives
• Hands-on with development with the team
• Stakeholder management
We build our micros-services architecture in
• Node.js / GraphQL / PostgreSQL / Redis
• AWS – Cloudformation, EC2, VPC, Lambda
• Microservices Architecture
G9 (proposed band D)
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title when starting the role.