Digital Journalist - Nairobi
BBC Monitoring (BBCM) provides news and information based on our monitoring of open source media from over 150 countries in more than 70 languages. It is an important part of the BBC's news gathering operation, with journalists based in the UK and in international bureau, and provides content for a range of BBC platforms.
Our extensive operation enables us to provide insightful and reliable coverage of political, economic, security and media news.
Our round-the-clock monitoring of TV, radio, press, digital media and news agencies is also provided to a wide range of users, including commercial clients.
- To produce engaging content in a range of different formats, on insight gained through monitoring TV, radio, newspapers and social media in the target area
- To come up with new, original and creative ways of telling stories and think of the best ways to integrate images (including video), graphics and data into BBCM's products in order to have a powerful visual impact
- Ensure all output produced adheres to the highest journalistic standards and is consistent with BBC editorial guidelines
- Actively seek feedback from BBCM’s users; work with the Editorial Leads/Senior Digital Journalists and the rest of the team to interpret this and respond in a timely manner
- Come up with original ideas and creative treatments for ongoing and emerging narratives, including data-driven products and multimedia elements
- Feed in to the global news agenda by leading editorial operations as required
- Continually develop expert knowledge of all media types (including social media) in the coverage area, ensuring that this source context features in output
Are you the right candidate?
- An excellent level of spoken and written English
- Complete fluency in Portuguese OR French
- Excellent monitoring and editing skills, with ability to deliver output that maintains highest journalistic standards and is consistent with BBC editorial guidelines
- Experience in generating and developing original story ideas and new products/services that capture and highlight emerging trends
- Proven ability to drive the editorial agenda and shape day-to-day coverage, identifying new ways to deliver engaging, insightful content to all BBCM's users
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of the news and current affairs of sub-Saharan Africa
- An interest in international news and media developments globally
Contract: Permanent - Full time
Local terms and conditions apply
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Kenya.
About the BBC
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here