The BBC News website is one of the world’s largest and most popular news sites, with mobile and desktop editions for different geographic audiences, and UK-facing and International-facing apps.
This role is based in Singapore, home to the BBC News website’s Asia edition - which comprises an Asia News front page and social platforms specially curated for the region. Journalists in the team write and shape the website’s international news coverage and help set our daily agenda. They are also responsible for helping to build the reach and reputation of our digital services.
You will write and produce content for the UK and international editions of the BBC News website and related services. The content will include text, video and social news, explainers, analysis and features. You will shape our material for mobile audiences and ensure we reach new and underserved audiences like younger people. You will be expected to work with online and other teams to produce outstanding text journalism, digital video and social news, as well as developing new ways of telling stories.
Are you the right candidate?
You will have a proven track record in News as well as sound editorial judgement. In addition you will have:
- Plenty of recent journalistic experience of writing text in English for digital news audiences
- Experience of using content management systems to produce news
- A strong track record of covering the international and Asian news agenda.
- Experience of using audience analytics tools to understand audience behaviour and improve our coverage
- A thorough understanding of the importance of social media to source and enhance stories and distribute our story-telling
- Proven ability to innovate to create outstanding digital journalism
- Lots of ideas about how to reach audiences that don’t usually come to the BBC
- Fluency in a regional language
6 month fixed term contract
Based in Singapore
Local terms and conditions apply
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here