Digital Technician (Archives)
BBC Archives has an enduring purpose: to secure the past for the future. We preserve and store all kinds of digital content so that it can be reused and repurposed. We are looking for an experienced Digital Technician to work across existing archive teams. With varied experience of working in broadcast and media content management, and with extensive knowledge of broadcasting technology practices, candidates should be conscientious, technically able people with strong media management skills and meticulous attention to detail. The successful applicant will be an adaptable team player with excellent communication skills.
The purpose of this role is to support the delivery of BBC Archives strategy through a range of activities. As a Digital Technician, you will be responsible for the capture, manipulation and ingest of digital content from a wide variety of sources, in various formats. You will troubleshoot when problems arise either prior, to or after capturing, ensuring quality on the captured media. It is also expected that you will be responsible for media/asset management including monitoring storage levels and media deletions. You will of course work in collaboration with the Archive Collections and Operations Managers so as to be aware of the impact of media and archive management processes across the department.This role will provide high quality services to our users that present and showcase Archive content increasingly via digital delivery. The role requires the curation of digital assets across multiple platforms.
Are you the right candidate?
For this role, individuals will good knowledge of the following:
- Formats – tape formats, codecs, file formats, progressive and interlaced media, DPP standards, bit rates and audio sample rates.
- Tapeless acquisition media management and processing.
- Post Production technologies and programme-making workflows.
- Technical standards - basic understanding of BBC broadcast standards, bars and tone, clocks, Aspect ratios.
- Tape machines – differences between VTR formats.
- Understanding of non-linear editing - importing, processing, consolidating, exporting.
- Internet-based file exchange and file delivery.
- Storage Management & Data Tape archiving
12 Months FTC
The official BBC Job title for this role is Archivist
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.