Director, BBC Films
BBC Films is at the forefront of independent film making in the UK, developing and co-producing around twelve films a year. Recent releases demonstrate both the breadth and the quality that is synonymous with BBC Films including titles such as “Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie”; “David Brent : Life on the Road”; “Swallows and Amazons” “Lady in the Van” “Being AP” and “Brooklyn”.
The Director, BBC Films has responsibility for the development of a large and eclectic slate of feature film projects, ensuring all commissioning and greenlighting decisions are based upon:
· Sound editorial judgement
· Delivering greatest value to the audience and users and has impact
· A collaborative approach
· A cross-media perspective
· The need to leverage maximum value from rights’ ownership
BBC Films aims to work with a broad range of the best talent the UK has to offer and the Director is a key part of the team who nurture, develop and manage relationships with creative talent. Working closely with the writers and filmmakers to craft the stories, the Director will ensure they achieve their best version as well as providing guidance and support across the editorial and creative aspects of projects during production and post-production.
· Communicating BBC Films’ editorial objectives both internally and outside the BBC, to the wider industry, acting as ambassador for BBC Films and a representative of the UK film industry
· Responsibility for the delivery of the BBC Films slate, to find and help develop projects which will deliver to different audiences across the BBC Content portfolio
· Commissioning projects which are consistent with the Films strategy
· Leading co-production strategy and responsibility for pre-sign off consideration of development, co-production, rights, talent strategy, funding and related editorial concerns
· Acting as Executive Producer, providing advice and guidance on production and budget and final cut
· Managing the BBC Films team
· Ensuring that editorial strategies and objectives address the need to develop a diverse supply base in order to effectively reflect the diversity of the BBC’s audiences
· Encouraging a risk taking, innovative approach to ideas and talent development whilst ensuring the quality control of films to maximise the chances of audience success and value for money.
Are you the right candidate?
Person Knowledge & Skills
· Leading industry figure with an extensive editorial reputation for delivering exceptional Drama programming
· A demonstrable interest in film and TV and an awareness of material currently in development and potential gaps
· Experience of script reading and writing script reports with an ability to demonstrate sound editorial judgement and sensitivity, both verbally and on paper
· A current in-depth knowledge of European and US film scenes from key creative talent to distributors
· In-depth knowledge and extensive range of contacts in terms of key independent and in-house talent, their agents and representatives
· Demonstrable practical experience of developing talent including writers, producers and on-screen talent
· Knowledge of script/talent sources
· An understanding of and the ability to interpret editorial intentions and to contribute to the generation of ideas and the resolution of script problems
· Strong editorial judgement and extensive practical knowledge and experience of applying legal and editorial guidelines as they relate to content creation
· An understanding of the need to leverage maximum value from rights’ ownership
· Extensive experience of making judgments on matters of editorial sensitivity
· Sound knowledge of BBC’s editorial and commissioning processes
· Knowledge of editorial guidelines and BBC strategy and regulations relevant to the programme making e.g. artists’ rights; copyright; insurance requirements etc
· A thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.