In September 2020, our new Director General Tim Davie set a new BBC priority to create more value from digital, citing the acceleration of these services as essential to our ambitions to become a digital-first organisation.
In our mission to deliver value for all, there’s no question that we need to be strong in digital - and we are. People are turning to our world-class digital services in record numbers, where products like News, Sport, iPlayer, and Sounds are a winning combination of brilliant technology, content and marketing.
With global innovation at the forefront of what we do and as part of our newly formed Product Group, we’re searching for a Director of Product Management to help shape and define the future of the digital product industry.
In this key leadership role, reporting to our new Chief Product Officer, you can expect each day to bring exciting challenges. The below is by no means an exhaustive list of what you’ll achieve in this opportunity:
- You’ll create and lead a high performing team of product management professionals, supporting individuals to perform to the best of their ability within multifunctional teams across the organisation. You’ll be responsible for creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming environment for staff across Product Group, where everybody feels supported to be their authentic self. This will need collaboration from ‘day 1’ with other members of the Product Group Leadership Team, to transform the Product Group into a high performing, learning culture focused on innovation
- You’ll be working closely with the Chief Product Officer to develop the digital products' vision and strategy and to define the product management capability required to deliver against them. This will be achieved by setting objectives and key results (OKRs) for product teams and monitoring the performance and its contribution to the overall objectives and delivery of the Product Group’s contribution to BBC’s portfolio strategy
- You’re going to be accountable for achieving user and business value in line with the digital products' strategy, Setting standards and best practice for their discipline, engaging widely internally and externally, and applying trends and insights to continually improve the performance of the Product Group. This includes financial accountability for your discipline, including headcount budgets in which you’ll work very closely with HR, Finance, and the Product Group Leadership Team to ensure workforce planning is adequately understood and phased
The Ideal Candidate
We’re looking for someone from a data-driven product organisation. Your industry experience isn’t relevant, what’s more important is that you’ve worked at scale, demonstrating passion in your work and truly care about the value of the Products you’ve been a part of.
This is very much a hands-on opportunity, with collaboration at the heart of it. You’ll be rolling your sleeves up and working across the corporation, partnering with many different leaders, departments and teams to shape our product strategy, define product roadmaps, and maximise the audience impact that they deliver.
The BBC is about to celebrate its centenary in 2022. We have 100 years of technology innovation driving us forward, do you want to be part of our future?
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Contractual base can be Salford, London, Glasgow or Cardiff
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here