Director of Internal Comms & Engagement (Senior Head of HR)
One of the BBC’s core priorities for 2020/21 is to make the BBC the best place to work. With over 20,000 employees and up to 6,000 freelancers at any one time across numerous geographies and divisions, the Director of Internal Communications & Engagement’s remit is to engage with and communicate effectively with this audience.
As a member of the HR family, Internal Communications & Engagement is intrinsic to developing a culture where employees feel engaged with their workplace and giving their best, seeing that the organisation cares about their views and understanding how their role contributes towards overall business objectives.
The Director of IC& E will lead the team to;
- Deliver authentic messaging focused on the BBC’s strategic priorities and with people at their heart
- Run simple, effective and innovative communications channels that are easy to use and engage and encourage conversation.
- Lead the development of an inclusive culture by reflecting and representing the diversity of the BBC and supporting leaders with clear and consistent communications.
Leading a team of internal communications professionals, and reporting to the Chief HR Officer, this person will develop and implement an internal communications strategy which grabs the attention of employees and informs them what is happening in the organisation and what is expected of them.
- Be a trusted advisor to the Exec Committee and senior leaders working on major announcements, launches and events
- Lead a team of advisors and partners who develop and deliver engaging internal news, change programmes, employee updates, internal campaigns and events
- Ensure campaigns and projects are relevant and measurable and that they reach the right people
- Work with the team to develop communications strategies which not only inform the employees but involve them in the journey and promote dialogue
- Be best in class which includes embracing new technologies and communications channels
Are you the right candidate?
To lead this crucial function and deliver during a period of increased competition and uncertainty this person will;
- Be an experienced internal communications leader of a large team
- Be able to advise senior stakeholders and create a team who embrace a partnering and consultative approach
- Be visionary and able to develop a strategy which delivers the needs of a complex organisation
- Embrace new approaches, channels and systems
- Be comfortable challenging your team and the organisation to adopt the values of the organisation
- Be tenacious, curious, collaborative, analytical, creative, empathetic, an active listener and strong influencer.
Contract type: Permanent
Location:Birmingham / Flexible
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here