The BBC has been at the cutting edge of media for almost 100 years. The BBC brand is one of the most popular and trusted in the UK and around the world. The BBC reaches well over 9 in 10 UK adults each week via its TV, radio and online services.
BBC Distribution & Business Development’s Ventures team is at the heart of defining how, in a rapidly changing media landscape, audiences will be discovering and using BBC content through the next decade and developing the partnerships that ensure we deliver the best user experiences and keep the BBC innovative, prominent and available to everyone.
We do this through our focus on:
- leadership of the BBC’s long term distribution strategy, including the migration to internet (IP) delivery on TV and radio platforms
- management of the BBC’s investment in TV platform joint ventures Freeview, YouView and Freesat and radio joint ventures Radioplayer and Digital Radio UK
- developing policies to ensure the BBC approaches the distribution of its services to platforms in a consistent way that maximises value to Licence Fee payers
- providing input on key media market policy issues including responses to Ofcom consultations
- maximising the commercial return from the BBC’s TV distribution assets
You will be an engaging individual whose excels at balancing strategic and tactical decisions. Bringing a wide-ranging skill set, you will demonstrate an ability to make a valuable contribution in many of the following areas:
- Strategy – Supporting the development of the BBC’s strategy for the migration to IP distribution
- Partnerships – Helping manage the complex industry relationships that promote successful outcomes for the BBC
- Commercial – Undertaking financial and tactical analysis to input into negotiations around complex transactions
- Technical – Understanding digital product roadmaps and broadcast technology landscapes and challenges
- Innovation – Taking insightful looks at trends to develop new technical and commercial approaches to address future market dynamics
- Project Management – Leading workstreams and projects which rely on virtual teams from functions across the BBC
- Coordination and alignment – bringing together diverse stakeholders to develop aligned positions which inform BBC policy (in particular interpretations of the Distribution Policy)
The Ideal Candidate
- Be both creative and analytical – Develop new approaches in emerging areas and undertake thorough analysis to support conclusions
- Be a great influencer – Weave compelling narratives which balance storytelling and analysis to influence stakeholders at all levels within the BBC and beyond
- Be expert - Able to understand and articulate the audience, commercial, policy and financial implications of a range of strategies
- Become well connected – Build trusted relationships and work with people at all levels across the organisation and the wider industry
- Enjoy negotiating – Input into financial and tactical planning to support complex negotiations
We are seeking deeply curious self-starters with an interest in both TV and Radio, and an ability to both develop strategy while grasping technical complexity.
The role offers exposure to the most senior leaders at the BBC as well as colleagues from a fascinating breadth of teams and functions.
If a role like this at an organisation like the BBC appeals, then please click on the link and apply today.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here