The BBC Children’s 7+ Commissioning & Acquisitions Team identifies and secures the widest range of top quality content from both the UK and around the world to satisfy the needs of our modern, sophisticated young audience. We reach our audience via a wide range of platforms including the CBBC channel, iPlayer, mobile and on-line, offering an enormous choice of programming from animations like Boy Girl Dog Cat Mouse Cheese and Dangermouse to dramas like Jamie Johnson, Dodger, The Next Step and Malory Towers. Uniquely, we also feature a world-class portfolio of children’s Factual like My Life and Operation Ouch and comedies like So Awkward and Horrible Histories. This is an opportunity to join one of the best and most successful Children’s content departments in the world.
We are looking for a freelance creative individual who is absolutely passionate that our content reflects our diverse audience. You will bring an ability to develop and maintain excellent relationships with production teams, alongside drama and / or comedy experience that allows you to develop and oversee production of scripted content across a range of genres. You should have clear enthusiasm for the Children’s audience and a desire to ensure children are at the forefront of all decision making from development to commission and TX.
The main responsibilities of the Commissioning Executive, Scripted are:
- To work closely with the Commissioning Editors and Head of Commissioning to identify, develop, commission and deliver top quality, original drama and comedy from suppliers both in the UK and around the world.
- Ensure that the development of ideas meets the needs of our modern audience and that content is appropriate to its target age group and reflects the diverse nature and needs of our audiences.
- To review content to ensure it is editorially compliant and in line with BBC editorial standards.
- To build and maintain a detailed knowledge of suppliers and foster positive working partnerships inside and outside of the BBC.
- Strong decision maker with the ability to articulate reasoning behind editorial choices.
Good sense of the modern commercial, business and co-production environment.
Are you the right candidate?
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Excellent editorial and creative judgement with an established track record in Drama, Narrative Comedy and / or Children’s production
- Thorough understanding of the audience and wider kids’ landscape and current trends
- Good production knowledge with a proven record of successful programme making.
- Sound editorial judgment and knowledge of editorial policy and fair trading issues.
- Experience of a production pipeline from development through to delivery.
- Knowledge of commercial terms and deal structure.
Contract type: 6 Month - Freelance
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here