The Multimedia Editor will help create and implement a mobile-first video strategy for one of the fastest growing areas of the BBC.com website and its social platforms.
They will run a small team that will deliver smart, original and mind-expanding videos and visual stories for sites including, but not limited to, BBC Future, BBC Earth and BBC Culture.
The editor is a manager and leader but also a talented and visionary creative, who knows how to create content that will delight digital audiences every day.
They are a digitally-literate, socially-savvy, and have the ability to source ideas and execute high-quality stories. Above all, they are intellectually curious, a creative and nimble thinker, and passionate about producing video and visual stories in innovative ways.
The role will require day-to-day liaison with other multimedia producers, journalists and editors around the BBC.
- Set the video strategy and visual style for the bbc.com verticals across the site and social platforms.
- Manage a small team of multimedia producers and other creative to deliver compelling content for the bbc.com sites
- Create video, graphics, interactive features and/or other multimedia.
- Commission video, graphics, interactive features and other multimedia to agreed schedules, both from in-house and external sources. To check on delivery and provide feedback to contributors when multimedia needs reworking or developing.
- Ensure all material complies with BBC editorial guidelines.
- To commission all work within the agreed editorial budgets of the site
- To create working relationships with new contributors, and build on existing ones across the BBC and outside it.
- To be familiar with social media and to ensure all content plays to the site’s social media strategy to drive traffic and increase engagement.
- Monitoring competitive sites for relevant editorial content.
- To work with the Editors to complete work to the highest quality standards
Are you the right candidate?
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to shoot and edit video
- Experience of industry-standard editing tools e.g Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premier and post production.
- Experience of graphics packages such as PhotoShop and After Effects desirable.
- Knowledge of a 3D package would be an advantage
- Experience of – or the ability to quickly learn - BBC software and production systems.
- Experience running a team an advantage
- Substantial experience in commissioning and editing video material for the web, particularly mobile and social first video
- Ability to keep commissions on vision, on budget and on deadline.
- Experience of creating graphics and multimedia content
- Background in factual journalism, film or television production
- Extensive digital skills
- Experience working as part of a broadcast news organisation is desirable
- Ability to run and lead a team
- Excellent communication skills.
- Must be entrepreneurial, a problem-solver and creative thinker.
A recognised degree in multimedia production. Relevant experience will be accepted in lieu.