Editor, Special Reports & Investigations - BBC Russia
The BBC is looking for an experienced, versatile journalist and editor with a proven track record of breaking big stories, and who can comfortably work across multiple subject areas.
Reporting to the BBC Russian Service Moscow Editor, the post holder will commission, coordinate, edit and produce special reports and investigations by BBC Russian Service staff ensuring that they meet the BBC’s editorial standards and are legally compliant.
Editor (Special Reports and Investigations) will have excellent text-editing skills as well as experience with a range of different investigative approaches, including data journalism, FOI and undercover reporting, as well as a wide range of contacts. They will have knowledge and experience of working with a number of reporting and production tools and formats suitable for special reports, and a proven track record of producing such long-form and special content.
Editor (Special Reports and Investigations) will be expected to commission digital video material to support long text-based investigations, and English translations of stories where appropriate, and also to organise or contribute to live or pre-recorded interviews for other BBC outlets as required.
The post holder will work closely with other teams in BBC World Service Languages and across the wider BBC. Editor (Special Reports and Investigations) will collaborate with centres of investigative excellence across BBC News and with other BBC outlets producing broader investigations.
- To manage a team of journalists working on exclusive investigations and special reports for the BBC Russian, overseeing the production of stories in a variety of formats for the BBC Russian website, for all other BBC Russian Service platforms and where appropriate for other interested BBC outlets.
- To commission, edit and produce other long reads, special reports and daily news stories produced by other BBC Russian staff as and when needed.
- To contribute new lines to big, moving stories.
- To ensure fast, accurate and entertaining reporting. To deliver complex ideas clearly. To write and edit well-structured stories.
- To attend and chair editorial meetings when required.
- To work with appropriate departments within the BBC to ensure that Russian Service’s special reports and investigations remain editorially and legally compliant.
- To collaborate with other staff with the Europe Americas Hub and across the BBC – in particular with teams working on investigations within BBC News.
- To share reports, leads, story lines, angles, innovative techniques etc., making sure that investigative and special work produced in the Russian Service is of benefit to the entire BBC
Are you the right candidate?
The successful candidate will have the following skills:
- Excellent track record of delivering high impact special reports and investigations; experience of different investigative approaches including FOI requests and undercover reporting.
- Excellent people skills, resilience and experience of leading and managing a team of journalists.
- First-class Russian language skills and a good working knowledge of both written and spoken English.
- A high level of editorial awareness and judgement and strong editorial skills.
- Proven experience of originating and implementing ideas and exercising sound editorial judgement for the target area.
- A strong awareness of health and safety / high risk issues, especially those relating to investigative journalism.
- Ensure investigation/special report production is based on a sound understanding of cost, quality and delivery dates;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of Russian political, social, cultural and historical context as well as the changing needs of the audience;
- A good working knowledge of production and reporting techniques suitable for long form content on television, digital video, Online and other formats.
- A good working knowledge of both Russian and UK legal guidelines in relation to special reports and investigations, as well as of the BBC’s editorial guidelines.
- Experience of live broadcasting, interviewing and reporting, preparing and voicing packages for broadcast is desirable.
- A highly developed and authoritative news and current affairs judgement.
- Knowledge and practical experience of weekly and/or daily journalism.
Local terms and conditions apply
Any offer of employment is conditional upon you having the right to work in Russia
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here