Working within the BBC Studios, Global Operations, Engineering team, and reporting to the Head of Engineering, the Engineering Manager will provide operational support, third party supplier management, customer support, technical development and project delivery for BBC World News.
The Engineering team is responsible for the technology that underpins the origination and global distribution of BBC World News, including media management, multi-channel scheduling, playout, access services and satellite, fibre and internet contribution/distribution networks.
- Support the continuous transmission of BBC World News around the globe, ensuring high availability and quality of service.
- Maintain reports of service levels and, when it is required, communicate appropriate service updates to internal stakeholders and external customers or partners.
- Collaborate with the Engineering team, other BBC Stakeholders and third party suppliers to resolve complex technical problems in often time-pressured situations. Communicating appropriate service status updates to internal stakeholders and external customers or partners, when it is required.
- Build strong relationships with third party suppliers, ensuring outsourced technical service arrangements deliver high quality and value for money, and there is a shared strategic vision.
- Work alone and/or with other members of the Engineering Team to research, develop and design suitable synergized and cost effective solutions that deliver BBC strategic service requirements.
- Co-ordinate, plan and manage projects to ensure technical solutions are delivered to a high standard, on budget and on time.
- Support the technical development of BBC World News, identifying new opportunities, researching technical innovations, recommending and implementing change.
- Build collaborative relationships with internal stakeholders across BBC Studios and other BBC divisions including BBC News, BBC Design & Engineering and BBC World Service.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of industry developments and broadcast technologies.
- Contribute to the effective running of the Engineering team, supporting colleagues and deputising for the Head of Engineering as required.
Be a point of escalation for service affecting issues, helping to ensure critical issues are resolved in a timely manner
The Ideal Candidate
- Service management / service delivery experience.
- Experience supporting customers in an often pressured service delivery environment.
- Ability to work with multiple different businesses simultaneously, demonstrating an appreciation for and an appropriate management of commercial sensitivities.
- Knowledge of the following broadcast technologies and workflows: scheduling, access services, playout and satellite and fibre distribution.
- Excellent planning, documenting and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise, delegate and to work to deadlines.
- Excellent influencing and diplomatic skills, with the ability to build productive long term relationships with key stakeholders and a wide range of internal and external contacts.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to effectively present complex initiatives, strategies and systems to different audiences.
- Flexibility to be both proactive (in terms of developing new ideas and systems) and reactive (dealing with incidents in an effective and responsive manner).
- Resilient under pressure, self-disciplined and self-motivated.
- A proven track record of delivering complex projects and co-ordinating multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Knowledge of the following technologies: media management, coding & multiplexing, cloud based transcoding and content delivery networks.
- ITIL v3 Foundation.
- Knowledge and experience of commercial contract principles, practices and procedures with good negotiation skills.
· The role will have the responsibility to respond to immediate business requirements or risks.
· The role will be expected to form good working relationships with key colleagues and peers within their business area and across the BBC.
· The role will work with external suppliers, external customers or business partners and internal providers where required to support the on-going delivery of the BBC World News service and/or the implementation of agreed priorities and deliverables for their business areas.
· Responsible for managing external business relationships, and dealing with contractual issues and/or renewals, and the selection processes for new contractual arrangements.
· The role will be expected to prioritise resources and deliverables to meet multiple objectives in a fast changing environment.
· Facilitate business area reviews as required providing associated reporting against agreed targets required to be delivered and actioned.
· The role holder will lead and manage assigned resources (either permanent or project based) as appropriate, with responsibility for staff performance management and communication.
Contract type: Fixed Term Contract for 6 months
Working pattern: We are currently offering hybrid working of being in the office 2-3 days a week.
We are really proud to share that we are a Level 2 Disability Confident Employer and so if you require any reasonable adjustments in order to apply please do contact us on email@example.com with ref: BBC/TP/XXX in the subject.
We advertise all our roles on Evenbreak, the specialist job board for disabled candidates.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here