BBC Sport is at the heart of the BBC’s online strategy. Our digital service is the UK’s biggest and best-loved Sport offering, drawing together world class journalism and live coverage of big events that bring the nation together. With around 25 million visitors a week the Sport website and apps are key to the output of BBC Sport.
Our department is based in Quay House at MediaCityUK. We have over 60 people organised into four multidisciplinary agile teams containing software engineers, testers, designers, product owners and project managers. You will be working in a team of highly motivated people focussed on delivering excellent features and experiences for our audience.
We pride ourselves on a leading approach to software development. We have a philosophy of continuous improvement and have a strong focus on engineering excellence. We are moving to a model based around continuous delivery.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity. We value and respect every individual's unique contribution to the BBC. We select candidates for our positions on the basis of merit.
Sport & Live Services (SLS) is the team that provides the APIs and services that power the Sport Website, the Sport Mobile app, BBC Live and numerous other components and services built by News, Knowledge & Learning and Weather.
We are looking for an experienced technical product manager, ideally with a software engineering background, to come and lead this team in evolving, maintaining and supporting our critical services and products.
You will be a technical owner, helping to ensure we make the best and most efficient use of new technology. And you will lead the high-performing SLS engineering team to help evolve their services so that they’re ready to handle new requirements such as personalisation and audience participation.
In short, we want you to play a big part in delivering the next generation of services and APIs to meet the future needs of the BBC.
- Lead Technical Product Management definition, prioritisation and development of technical products and platforms to support the BBC Sport, News, Children’s and K&L product set.
- To be the product evangelist and promoter of platform capabilities, features and data offered in support of BBC products.
- To be a key contact point for both internal and external stakeholders (including relationships with external sports data providers).
- To be the product advocate and go-to person for prioritisation, scope calls and other guidance or decision making in relation to the future of Sport and Live Services.
- To manage the flow of inbound requests and enquiries from teams around the business.
- To work with colleagues to produce and enact business cases and plans for the future of our back-end services and APIs.
- To lead a mixed discipline team featuring developers of various levels, a project manager, and a business analyst - including line management where appropriate.
- To drive world class services and engineering excellence.
The Ideal Candidate
- Expert understanding and ability to apply industry knowledge, market awareness, audience research and analytical insights to product strategy and planning.
- Ability to make decisions based on research, usage data, or predictions of either.
- Understands and prioritises the needs of the product’s users either audience members or production teams.
- Excellent product development skills and product life-cycle management including an understanding of Agile methodology.
- Ability to plan and forecast product budget and deliver within that budget.
- Good understanding of the relevant technologies and practices (e.g. client and server-side technologies, new media technologies and platforms, project management (especially Scrum) and software engineering processes and practices.
- Experience managing commercial and contractual relationships with third party suppliers and partners.
- Experience of end to end product delivery.
- Significant experience working within new media, software development, broadcast, or related media sectors, delivering digital media roadmaps.
- Working knowledge of BBC output; editorial, compliance and regulatory issues for the BBC.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.