Education is at the heart of the BBC’s public purposes and a key element in its online strategy, with the prestigious and well-loved BBC Bitesize the corporation’s flagship formal education offering. In close collaboration with the BBC Learning department, the BBC Digital Knowledge & Learning product team ensures BBC Bitesize’s users benefit from the distinctive qualities the BBC is uniquely suited to bring to an online education experience.
This Executive Product Manager role will be responsible for leading the definition and delivery of major product enhancements to BBC Bitesize across platforms, whilst maintaining consistency where required across the different elements of the product. The successful candidate will use their expertise in digital media and educational technology to lead the creation of rich, pedagogically robust interactive experiences for formal learning audiences. Effective, sincere partnership with expert editorial colleagues, as well as collaboration with fellow Product Managers in other parts of the BBC, will be required to launch and maintain innovative, compelling, financially responsible immersive Bitesize experiences. This particular role will require the individual to represent Bitesize and the BBC responsibly and maturely both inside and outside the BBC.
Executive Product Managers in BBC Digital are responsible for leadership and delivery at every stage of the product lifecycle, ranging across proposition development, product planning, marketing and audience communication, performance measurement, and iterative development. Executive Product Managers partner strongly with internal and external stakeholders, in particular collaborating with counterparts in the Editorial divisions as well as multi-disciplinary software delivery teams across BBC Digital. Executive Product Managers are a key member of the Product Management team, and are responsible for providing leadership within the team, inspiring creativity and guiding decision making.
STRATEGY AND TECHNOLOGY
- Partner with stakeholders in Editorial and Digital to define and develop product strategy that continues to place the BBC at the forefront of harnessing the potential of digital media for education.
- To partner with user experience experts, technical architects and software engineers to align technology strategy with product goals.
- To be at the forefront of emerging technologies and understand their relevance to the product, BBC and its diverse audiences
- Gather, define, and prioritise incremental improvements to product features and requirements as aligned with the product strategy and roadmap.
- To be accountable for all approval gates before a project commences and quality reviews during a build/delivery.
POST DELIVERY / MAINTENANCE
- Be responsible for public relations when required, including identification of marketing and brand support needs and coordination.
- Gather, analyse, and report usage data or other such relevant data in support of measuring the performance of the product.
- Monitor, summarise, and report feedback from the user base or audience, as well as media or industry comment or feedback.
RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT AND COMMUNICATION
- Develop relationships with pan-BBC and external stakeholders, delivery partners, and suppliers
- Represent the BBC with its partners in a strategic leadership capacity – this includes joint ventures and other relationships where driving the best value for the license fee payer is required.
- Work with product and editorial teams across the whole UK, and especially in Glasgow, Belfast, Cardiff, Salford and London.
This is just a flavour of what you will be doing for more detail please look at the attached Job Description.
Are you the right candidate?
- Demonstrable experience managing and developing digital media products – including defining product roadmaps and long-term plans.
- Significant experience working within new media, software development, broadcast, or related media sectors.
- Proven experience creating new product concepts, and delivering them to users & audiences.
- Strong understanding and experience of product development skills and product life-cycle management.
- Experience managing commercial and contractual relationships with third party suppliers and partners.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.