Executive Product Manager - News Labs
The BBC News digital team delivers impartial news to readers all over the world, currently in 41 languages. News Labs is a distinct team within the group that focuses on innovative new ideas and solving problems in new ways. The team works with its own developers and in short sprints designed to enable it to investigate ideas quickly, assessing their potential for big impact through prototypes, user testing and rapid iteration.
Now is a great time to join us. The BBC is working towards personalised features for our audience, using the capabilities of public Cloud providers to help us serve that audience exactly what they want quickly and efficiently and dramatically expanding our global reach by targeting new users in Africa, Asia and South America.
- This role is based in BBC News. Applicants should have experience working with systems that scale to millions of users and where there’s a lot of complexity and inter-dependence.
- Experience working in an editorial environment, particularly large Newsrooms, is a plus. Candidates should have an appreciation of journalism, particularly around structured storytelling and balancing audience needs and journalist needs.
- Experience managing multiple concurrent agile product development streams and focusing on multiple deliveries.
- Proven experience of working collaboratively with people from a range of backgrounds and experience.
- Define, develop and articulate a product strategy, roadmap and manage delivery for News Labs, in a way that fits wider BBC News and BBC aims.
- Ability to use product insights gained from data (analytics, MVT etc) to understand how News Labs should prioritise and which ideas should be pursued.
- Experience of identifying and implementing creative and original approaches to complex problems across technical and editorial domains, taking appropriate levels of risk.
- Proven ability to identify and clearly communicate opportunities to improve the BBC's production and audiences facing propositions.
Are you the right candidate?
- The ideal applicant is goal orientated and a clear communicator. They can articulate why we are pursuing a given opportunity, assess its impact with data and keep the business informed and engaged. The will understand how to take a broad, top level goal and break it down into a small, achievable projects.
- This is a high profile area and can be a priority for senior stakeholders, so candidates need experience working with big, visible consumer brands and senior business stakeholders. They need to be able to show evidence of being able to build support for a vision and get stakeholders aligned behind it.
- Experience working in a fast-turnaround innovation/prototyping team with ability to drive delivery, rigorously prioritise and manage scope.
- Strong communication and evangelism skills, with experience an dinterest in presenting and hosting conferences and large events
- Candidate need to work with technical members of staff, so ability to understand, communicate and contribute to complex technical plans is a plus
- Applicants should be curious and investigative thinkers who have an interest in driving product usage across large organisations and for global audiences. Interest in product performance across the world, and the specifics of audiences in our target areas is a plus.
Grade 10 (Proposed Band E)
Based London W1
12 Month Fixed Term.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more
About the BBC
BBC Design + Engineering
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.