BBC Design & Engineering is the division responsible for all of the BBC’s digital media services and provides innovative leadership in the fields of digital, technology and media management.
BBC Bitesize is the BBC's free online study support resource for school-age students in the United Kingdom. It is designed to aid students in both school work and, for older students, exams. Bitesize delivers content in a range of innovative formats; bringing the curriculum to life, inspiring further engagement, fostering a love of learning as well as supporting knowledge and skill acquisition.
As Executive Product Manager, you will play a key role, in shaping the next phase of this much loved and well respected product.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
· Work with the Head of Product – Knowledge & Learning, making a substantial contribution to the development of the product portfolio, developing and mentoring other team members as appropriate.
· Working with the D&E and Knowledge & Learning leadership team to define and deliver our product strategy - based on the BBC’s strategic vision, relevant industry insight, technology trends and audience research.
· Develop relationships with third parties and enable to contribute to the delivery of our products on time and on budget.
· Develop and maintain business case and other relevant documentation in support of products.
· Ensure adoption of appropriate standards, guidelines, tools and techniques. Share best practice across teams.
· Understand the needs of the audience and internal clients and ensure that these are always front of mind in product decisions.
· To be at the forefront of emerging technologies and understand their relevance to the product, the BBC and its diverse audience.
· Provide strategic expertise on relevant industry and competitor developments.
Delivery and maintenance
· Lead requirements gathering sessions with stakeholders and manage change in relation to specified requirements, including assessment of impact, communication, and supporting planning and prioritisation as appropriate.
· Work with UX teams to define user experience.
· Initiate experiments to help us learn how our audience is using our products and how we can meet their needs better
· Monitor, summarise and report feedback from the user base or audience to measure performance of the product.
· Support transition to ‘live’ environments.
· Enable continuous improvement of the products, identifying and prioritising improvements and enhancements
· Engage with service leads and technical teams to ensure the appropriate use of technology to fulfil the outlined strategy and product vision.
· Manage end of product life cycle, making decisions on reinvestment, transitioning to maintenance or product retirement.
· Develop relationships with pan-BBC and external stakeholders, delivery partners and suppliers as well as with peers and more senior internal stakeholders.
· Develop relationships with other BBC teams delivering technology and services on which our products are dependent and represent D&E at relevant decision-making and knowledge-sharing forums.
· Engage with vendors, negotiating and influencing to hold them accountable to the terms of the agreement.
· Be an evangelist for the BBC D&E Knowledge & Learning team inside the organisation and externally
· Identify and create opportunities for collaborative working with other areas of the BBC, industry experts and key public service partners.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
· The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
· Significant experience of product management of audience-facing digital products
· Extensive experience of Agile product development lifecycles and experience shipping software products
· Experience of leading strategy development around a major product or portfolio of products
· Experience of working with third parties to deliver audience-facing experiences
· Experience of working on multi-disciplinary teams and a thorough understanding of what the different disciplines bring to the product development process
· Conceptual understanding of the key technologies in web development including CMS’s and video publication
· Industry credibility and reputation in product management
· In-depth understanding of specific audience/consumer needs in this area
· A good understanding of user-centred design processes
· Demonstrable experience of analytical and metric-driven approach to problem solving
· The proven ability to balance competing business needs and technical constraints and associated risk
· The proven ability to interpret and translate between technical input in the context of business requirements – and vice versa
· Demonstrable ability to deliver outstanding results
· Excellent communication skills and stakeholder management to a wide range of audiences
· Strong understanding of the similar digital markets and the strengths and weaknesses of competitor propositions
· An understanding of BBC public purposes and how these relate to bbc.co.uk services (desirable).
The Ideal Candidate
· Leadership - demonstrates the ability to make things happen and is focused on delivery. Builds a climate of trust with project teams and all other stakeholders.
· Strategic thinking – able to identify a vision along with the plans which need to be implemented to meet the end goal, evaluating situations, decisions and issues in the short, medium and long term.
· Influencing and persuading - able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change
· Planning and organising - Prioritises and plans, taking into account the degree of uncertainty, resource availability and dependencies to ensure delivering within the time, cost and quality constraints.
· Adaptability and flexibility - a willingness to be flexible in meeting the challenge of working across a diverse range of delivery teams. To manage uncertainty and adapt the programme, portfolio or project where required.
· External thinking - keeps up-to-date with developments in the outside world and considers challenges in the wider context.
· Negotiation and influencing - proven negotiation skills, ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Demonstrates the ability to draw from a range of influencing strategies to persuade people to achieve agreement or behavioural change. Listens to other points of view to gain understanding.
· Communication - able to get messages understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information. Recognises the importance of sharing and disseminating information and contacts
· Managing relationships - able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people, including senior/executive level. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.