Content Distribution Services is part of BBC Platform. We build & operate services that get content to all of the BBC websites and apps – our systems typically include big databases, high scale event notification and APIs, data transformation, real-time calculation and aggregation and custom delivery to client system architectures.
Over the last decade, the Internet has become mainstream and the BBC needs to transform itself for the digital age. The BBC has already changed a lot in the last couple of years and we’ve seen huge challenges to our existing systems in terms of resilience, scale, performance and speed of delivery to meet new business requirements.
To respond to that, our approach has been to start to pull apart our mature systems and redistribute the work across more teams and independent systems to meet that resilience, performance and delivery need. This has created quite a diverse landscape of old and new systems and architectures for content distribution and the users of our systems are finding it quite hard to navigate.
We’re looking to hire a very experienced Product Manager. This person will partner with the head of Content Distribution Services to drive a consistent departmental product strategy and develop our product management abilities to join it all up again for our users. They will also lead our API Management product & engineering team.
The successful candidate will be great at product management with strong leadership & mentoring skills and probably has a technical background.
API Management is one of our 5 product teams. The product is a set of software components and services that are used to control, manage and report against API usage right across the BBC. We’re just starting to move from a commercial product to in-house design & build in order to better deliver our vision for a secure, robust, multi-tenant self-service Platform.
- Bring together and support the Content Distribution product management community, mentoring & developing our product managers and developing & sharing strategies to address the day-to-day opportunities we find.
- Work with the other product managers and the head of product for Content Distribution to develop & communicate a departmental product strategy & vision.
- Product manage the API Management system.
- Line manage the API management team.
The Ideal Candidate
- Extensive experience of successful development of other product professionals.
- Extensive experience of successful Product Management of technical systems.
- Experience of development and successful execution of departmental and organizational product strategies.
- Ability to understand & communicate technical ideas and designs for web & back-end systems.
- Skill in effective communication with diverse stakeholders.
- Discovery of high-level product requirements and translation into coherent epics & users stories for an engineering team to implement.
- Understand and represent the needs of stakeholders.
- Making and communicating prioritization decisions.
- Manage & balance disparate stakeholder needs & expectations in a complex technical environment.
Grade 10 (Proposed Band E)
- Excellent career progression - The BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - Our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community - We have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.