Executive Product Manager
Audience Platform is one of the BBC's biggest and most ambitious online projects. Its aim is to create technology solutions and organise data to shape a personal BBC for each of our users.
Our products and services include the BBC account, personalised recommendations, notifications, data warehousing and insights, and participation services such as comments, moderation and voting.
You will be part of a large team who support a platform that powers BBC services reaching millions of people. We work with iPlayer TV and Radio, News, Sport, Children's, Weather and many more.
This role is for an Executive Product Manager in the Audience Data team.
This multi-disciplinary team are responsible for a suite of products and services that collect, store, process and provision audience data. Using this data we are powering personalisation, insight, analytics and data science across the BBC. Our data pipelines capture and process billions of events every day and store these in our petabyte-scale data warehouse. BBC products use the data warehouse and its services to improve and personalise their products for audiences. BBC data scientists use it for audience insight that promotes data-driven decision making. It also enables the BBC to provide personalised recommendations, notifications, newsletters and, by the use of segmentations, offer the audience content appropriate to their demographic and behavioural habits.
- Define the vision, strategy, and roadmap of the Audience Data products and services, aligning these to support the BBC's vision, aim and priorities
- Have proven experience in the product management of online products and services
- Have experience of leading and managing product teams
- Be responsible for balancing the operational robustness, continuous improvement and innovation of the products and services
- Develop and own key success metrics to show the value realised through data and its use
- Partner with key stakeholders from across the BBC to identify trends and opportunities presented from data
- Make strategic recommendations on data acquisition, integration, usages and partnership opportunities
- Experience of big data technologies and architectures necessary to make product decisions
- Have above standard analytical and technical skills
- A good understanding of big data industry
- Lead a multi-disciplinary team of software and data engineers, testers, and analysts; ~15 people
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven experience with the management of big data to solve organisational challenges of the value that data can offer to organisations and audiences
- Knowledge of data science, data engineering and data-driven decision making
- Knowledge of automation and machine learning tools and techniques
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, healthcare, gym and much more.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.