Factual Development Producer – Constructed & Formats
The Digital Unit, part of Factual Productions at BBC Studios, is looking for a Constructed Docs Producer to join our development team for a 6 month period, with the possibility to extend.
This dynamic unit has a track record of working with new platforms and relationships in both the UK and US, including BBC Three, E4, YouTube, Spotify and Quibi - developing innovative mixed genre ideas and using social data to identify trends and talent that are engaging younger and more diverse audiences. Recent work includes ‘Big Narstie’s Big Adventure: Jamaica’ for Channel 4 and Spotify’s premium podcast series ‘Stay Free - The Story of the Clash’ with Chuck D. Currently the team have a slate of constructed docs series in with US digital platforms and are developing ideas for a new roster of exciting sought after talent that we have relationships with.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for constructed docs and factual formats and be excited about the rapidly changing media landscape and the new commissioning opportunity this brings for BBC Studios. As a skilled development producer, you will have the ambition to create the next generation of genre defining, returnable formats, but also the ability to develop new ideas across the range of specialist factual programmes, including genre busting hybrids. You will be able to suggest strong, relevant ideas, and write with passion and persuasion. With significant development experience, you will understand the commissioning process and have a proven track record of working up successful treatments and proposals for major broadcasters and global SVOD platforms.
The role will involve working closely with the Head of Development and Creative Director to generate and work up original ideas for a range of broadcasters and global AVOD & SVOD platforms. Responsibilities will include formatting and writing brilliantly memorable persuasive treatments and carrying out access meetings, designing pitch materials, leading and running as well as contributing to brainstorms and overseeing the creation of Taster tapes and Sizzles. The role would particularly suit someone who loves a range of factual, young-skewing content and consumes a range of media sources from podcasts to SVODs, AVODS, social media platforms and more.
Are you the right candidate?
- Recent relevant experience working within a development team with experience generating original fresh constructed docs series with sharply structured format beats that you were instrumental in developing.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to adapt to different tones and audiences and platforms – particularly with a youthful tone.
- Previous experience developing well known formats and pitching content ideas to global AVOD or SVOD platforms. US experience would be helpful.
- Confident at leading brainstorms and using innovative ways to facilitate creative sessions to get the most out of attendees.
- Experience designing decks to a high standard using Keynote or InDesign
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a team.
- Familiarity with research techniques and sources to verify the accuracy of material.
- Ability to deliver to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards
- A good understanding of the global commissioning landscape and what different platforms are looking for.
- Experience overseeing the creation of taster tapes / sizzles and other pitch materials
- Previous experience working with presenters and high profile on-screen talent
- Knowledge of editorial guidelines and awareness of BBC and statutory policies and regulations relevant to programme making, familiarity with the BBC employment practices and policies such as diversity, equal opportunities, and health and safety guidelines.
- Obsession with formats – with encyclopaedic knowledge of recent shows.
- Genuine interest in youth culture and young, innovative content and talent.
Contract type: 6 months FTC / attachment (Oct 2020 start)
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here