The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new land exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are looking for a talented and experienced field producer with excellent spoken and written English to join the Africa Service and work across all platforms. You need to demonstrate that you are an experienced Journalist with creative ideas for TV, digital and radio and have a desire to report news in a fair and unbiased way.
A career at the BBC offers you an opportunity to tell stories that can change lives. The aim of BBC Africa is to showcase the diverse ideas and aspirations from across the continent.
- To suggest and research stories or story elements for BBC Africa Service and other BBC services if requested by the editors/line managers; to find contributors and interviewees as well as other sources of material and/or actuality, as appropriate and to the required specification, whilst maintaining professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing and adhering to the BBC’s Editorial guidelines.
- To offer ideas for items in a range of platforms; to suggest and develop special projects in Africa and to actively contribute to the editorial planning process.
- To go on duty trips to gather information for output with a correspondent and/or a shoot/edit, or individually, as required.
- To work with correspondents from across the BBC, on duty trips and on base, ensuring that they are appropriately supported, both editorially and logistically.
- The ability to report from the field if needed.
- To suggest new broadcasting formats and techniques for BBC output from Africa.
The Ideal Candidate
- Fluent in English, both in written and spoken form, ability to communicate effectively on a high level.
- A full command and up to date knowledge of stories and issues relating to your specific region.
- Experience of work in a similar position in a news environment.
- Wide and up-to-date familiarity with the target area and an in-depth understanding of African history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of African audiences. Extensive knowledge of the media situation in the target area and the way it is developing.
- To have basic skills of shooting photo and video, and of gathering journalistic material through other technical means.
- A thorough understanding of the latest developments in digital storytelling.
- Thorough knowledge of current affairs and the broadcast environment in the target area, including familiarity with official structures and procedures pertinent to that environment.
Salary: Local Terms & Conditions
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.