BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity, which uses of media and communications to tackle poverty and contribute to long-term change in some of the world’s poorest places. BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity, which uses media and communications to help reduce poverty and support people to understand their rights. We do this through partnering with civil society, media and others to produce creative programmes and other outputs which inform and engage audiences on key governance, health and resilience development issues. We also strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
Working to the Regional Director, Asia and Europe:
- Develop and use existing interactive tools for management to monitor, analyse, plan and forecast effectively.
- Monitor and provide analysis on regional income and expenditure, and cash inflows and outflows, against forecasts and targets; report material variances and suggest proposed actions to the Regional Director.
- Provide monthly financial information to enable effective planning and management.
Under leadership from the Head of Business Partnering and Analysis and Regional Director, contribute to maximising value initiatives, in line with key workstreams defined by senior business leaders.
- Lead development of guidance for staff on budget management depending on type of funding agreements - grant, milestone, day rate.
- For non-standard grant funding, lead on appraisal/ reporting/ monitoring arrangements (systems and processes). Set up templates/ training for staff.
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualified accountant, ACA, ACCA or CIMA.
- Microsoft Excel advanced level, experience of business intelligence software Power BI and how data is structured, stored and retrieved from data warehouses.
- Good interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships with senior financial and non-financial managers and staff both internally and across the BBC. Able to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation.
- Experience of working in an international NGO, preferably in the context of the regions BBC Media Action works in (Asia, Africa, Middle East & Europe).
- Experience of providing financial information and analysis to management.
- An eye for detail and a concern for accuracy, together with the ability to keep sight of the broad picture. The ability to present detailed and complex financial information in a clear, concise and readily understandable way.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Flexible - any of Media Actions offices
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here