Finance Business Analyst
The BBC launched their new television channel for Scotland in February 2019, marking the single biggest investment in BBC Scotland in a generation. This is an exciting time for the organisation presenting us with a great opportunity to tell a new and engaging story to Scottish audiences.
We are seeking to recruit a Finance Business Analyst who will actively seek new and innovative ways to support our channel and its content.
The Divisional Finance teams are the front line in providing Finance support and advice across the BBC businesses, adding value by providing insightful financial analysis and acting as critical advisor on key financial decisions. Finance Business Analysts (FBAs) support the BBC in driving best value from the licence fee within each business area. FBAs will focus on forward looking, large scale and/or high-impact commercial and investment decisions and support effective financial planning within their area. They will work alongside Finance Business Partners delivering financial and business analysis to help solve key problems, progress local initiatives answer questions and influence decisions.
Within this role you will help to resolve key business issues and problems by delivering solutions and recommendations, based on sound analysis, for the Finance Business Partner and/or relevant operational stakeholder – sharing external and BBC wide knowledge and good practice.
- Maintain up to date knowledge and understanding of the divisional business – building and developing effective relationships with key business contacts.
- Responsible for delivering high quality financial and business analysis with recommendations to solve business problems and to influence and challenge business decisions.
- Delivery of effective financial and business analytical support for divisional projects/business initiatives – helping to improve business decisions and divisional performance.
- Demonstrate financial analysis and accounting skills.
- Studying towards or currently holding a recognised accounting qualification (e.g. CIMA, ICAEW, ACCA, ICAS) or instead hold extensive experience in a financial analysis role.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for the broadcasting and digital media and demonstrable interest in the output of BBC Television, Radio and Online.
- Experience of and demonstrable ability to build trust with partners, develop deep working relationships and manage multiple work streams across multiple partners.
- Demonstrable passion for and knowledge of the BBC with an understanding of the commercial environment in which it operates.
- Experience of influencing and working collaboratively across organisational boundaries with internal stakeholders, partners and suppliers.
Are you the right candidate?
Our ideal candidate will have a highly analytical approach, able to evaluate information critically. You will be a self-starter, strategic and a good team player.
You will demonstrate keen business awareness with some appreciation of the commercial broadcast market and the internal BBC market.
Influencing and persuasion skills are essential; at times delivering difficult messages to BBC partners while maintaining trust and goodwill.
Your interpersonal and communications skills should be sufficient to enable you to influence internal and external stakeholders.
Demonstrable financial modelling and analysis skills.
The ability to work with complex data and summarise for presentation to seniors.
Contract type: 12 months fixed term contract/attachment (21hrs per week; Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday).
Location: BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Quay Glasgow G51 1DA
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here