Finance Head, Americas
Global Distribution is BBC Studios’ international distribution business, leveraging intellectual property from the BBC and the wider British creative sector to generate value for these rights holders and enhance their global reputation. The regions’ activities comprise multiple revenue streams representing the full distribution spectrum (content sales, channels and digital operations, consumer products and other ancillaries), generating a turnover in excess of £500m. The regions operate in a highly complex environment and from multiple office bases across the USA, Latin America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
Purpose of the role
- Responsible for developing and managing all aspects of the Americas finances including performance analysis, business support, reporting, financial policy and controls, cash and risk management, statutory reporting, as well as the setting, monitoring and implementation of commercial terms and practices including investments and commercial deal appraisals.
- Lead the regional finance function, coaching direct reports and developing talent.
- Build excellent working relationships and gain acceptance as a highly collaborative, strategic, creative and results oriented professional across BBCS Americas, and within the BBC Studios as needed.
- Develop and manage a strong internal control environment to maintain business integrity, minimise risk and ensure financial governance is adhered to.
- Manage the delivery of clear, accurate and insightful management information on the performance of the regions and lines of business. Manage the Quarterly Performance Review process for all the Americas regions.
- Develop and communicate financial projections and monthly financial reporting for the region, complying with BBCS Accounting Policies and IFRS, to ensure any business risks are minimised. This includes strong balance sheet and cash management.
- Provide recommendations to the President Americas and senior management team on the allocation of capital and resources, and control of costs to maximise value.
- Advise senior management on financial implications of day to day decisions to manage risk and protect revenue.
- Develop and manage KPI reporting process for the region, monitoring the performance of the business against them and adjusting investments where necessary to maximise revenues.
- Support the implementation of new systems and new ways of working, as relevant. Continuously improve management information, financial processes and decision making practices across the Region.
- In collaboration with other local teams, develop and maintain appropriate legal and tax structures in each country to maximise company’s profits and ensure compliance.
- Recruit, lead, motivate, develop and manage the performance of direct reports, building a high calibre team with the skills and capabilities needed to deliver the required results.
- To be forward-looking, able to identify areas of opportunity as well as potential issues and be on the front foot in devising solutions to enhance opportunities and address issues.
- Ad hoc work as required by the FD Global Distribution and President of the Americas.
Scope & Impact
- Provides leadership and direction through diverse teams of managers and professionals.
- Decisions are guided by resource availability and regional objectives, strategies and priorities.
- Regular face-to-face / phone / email contact with Americas President and Americas Senior team, FD Global Distribution, Group CFO, corporate/central finance team to provide / receive / exchange information / instructions
- Given the nature of the Americas and its support of other businesses, the finance lead will need to develop the appropriate relationships in GNL, Britbox and IP&F.
Are you the right candidate?
Knowledge & Skills
- The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Professional, with a first class intellect and personality to make an immediate impact on the business.
- Strategic, with a broad commercial understanding. Able to understand and talk about the business outside the confines of the P&L.
- High energy. Ambitious with the appetite to help drive the business forward, commitment to action and results.
- Determined, positive, confident and motivational style, based on proven commercial success.
- Strong interpersonal skills; credible and persuasive at all levels in the organisation, and externally, coupled with a toughness of purpose and direction.
- Resilient and energetic. Able to cope effectively with pressure whilst initiating and responding positively to challenging ideas and pressures.
- Robust, commercial and straightforward, but collaborative and sensitive to the opinions of others with a strong team orientation.
- Integrity and honesty of the highest order with a straightforward, team oriented and open way of working.
MBA or CFA strongly preferred
- Proven track record as an experienced finance professional in a high growth, high performing organisation.
- Leadership, motivation and coaching of a small team of finance professionals.
- Significant international experience, working in matrix organisations with geographically dispersed offices.
- Experience in a consumer-facing business and media sector are preferable, with a good understanding of consumer behaviour, the creative process for developing and exploiting content
- Proven ability to prioritise, through analytical capability and clarity of thinking, to help build regional strategy with strong financial and commercial skills.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here