BBC Media Action uses media and communications to help people take control of their lives and make informed decisions. We do this through our focus on health, governance and rights, resilience and humanitarian response, partnering with civil society, local media and governments to produce creative programmes in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
Financial Management and Analysis
- Works with Heads of Programme, programme office Finance Managers and programmatic budget holders to ensure effective budget development, financial planning and financial management.
- Work with country office Finance Managers to ensure necessary financial reporting and monitoring routines are in place for centrally managed multi-country projects in order to meet donor reporting requirements.
Partner Financial Management (for PRIMED programme)
- Partner expenditure verification and testing financial integrity of partner financial reports in line with contractual requirements, for example by performing spot checks.
- Analyses project partners’ financial returns, working with overseas colleagues to challenge partners on significant deviations from budget ensuring value for money in project programmes.
Financial Control and Assurance
- Maintains the financial integrity of BBC Media Action operations, and ensures full compliance with policies & procedures, particularly around partner expenditure.
- Primary source of expertise for the assigned budget holders on financial best practice and control and compliance issues.
- Understands and complies with the Safeguarding policy and the staff Code of Conduct;
- Participates in relevant mandatory training on Safeguarding and Respect at Work.
The Ideal Candidate
- Newly qualified accountant with minimum of 2 years’ experience in the international development sector;
- Experience of consortium financial management in international development context.
- Excellent financial management and analysis skills, with experience of providing clear financial information and analysis to management;
- Experience and proven track record of developing and managing budgets and the commitment to achieving the most efficient and cost-effective use of resources;
- Experience of operating computer-based financial management systems. Advanced Microsoft Excel skills;
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- An eye for detail and a concern for accuracy, together with the ability to keep sight of the broad picture. The ability to present detailed and complex financial information in a clear, concise and readily understandable way;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here