BBC Content encompasses all of the BBC's network TV and Radio output. Under Charlotte Moore's leadership (as Chief Content Officer) we're repositioning our Television division in order to make radical changes to the way we commission content. This will enable us to deliver more value to all audiences across our channels and iPlayer and to focus on distinctive, high-impact content which audiences feel is for them.
We have an exciting opportunity for a new Genre Executive, Factual where you will support Patrick Holland in his expanded remit as Director of Factual, Arts & Classical Music. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of what this new commissioning powerhouse can achieve.
You will provide strategic and senior editorial assistance to the Director of Factual, Arts & Classical Music, thereby maximising their time for key creative decision making. You will work with and act as key liaison to the channel, genre and portfolio teams and will be pivotal to defining and shaping the editorial strategy. You will be expected to provide editorial input on projects, undertaking viewings and assisting with complex compliance queries. You would also be called upon to take a lead in managing relationships with external partners/bodies, alongside representing Factual at external meetings.
The Ideal Candidate
- Significant production experience at Exec Producer/Head of Development level or above (commissioning experience desirable).
- Complex compliance experience is essential.
- Factual television covers an enormous spectrum of output and tonality, therefore experience across a wide range of factual programming, ideally encompassing arts is required.
- Passionate about audiences and our genre objectives in offering inspiring, stimulating, authored pieces, as well as entertaining and emotive human led storytelling that enable us to form a deeper bond with our audience.
- Sound editorial judgment and ability to advise on how to improve or shape the editorial of a new programme idea to maximise its performance in the schedule.
- Ability to support an overall commissioning strategy and help put this into place
- Experience in using data and insights to inform future commissions/strategy.
- Passionate about diversity and positive portrayal of underrepresented groups
- Demonstrable high quality research skills and ability to extract and present relevant information.
- Good interpersonal skills, resilient in discussions with senior colleagues but also open to new ideas or new perspectives; uses effective listening and ability to communicate and influence people at all levels.
- Strong communication skills. Must be able to accurately summarise and convey complex information to a range of audiences.
Contract type: 12 month fixed term contract/attachment
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here