As a Graphic Designer you will be responsible to a Senior Graphic Designer, Visual Journalism. You will design, execute and produce graphic design work for the full range of output across BBC News.
As a Band 7/8 Graphic Designer you will need to show a competent understanding of 2D motion design using Adobe After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator. Familiarisation with 3D packages such as C4D and VizArtist would be useful but not essential.
You will be able to demonstrate innovative creative solutions in the area of motion design branding and/or information graphics, with a keen eye for detail.
Candidates should show practical and technical creativity.
Evidence of an interest in news and current affairs is essential.
Key responsibilities of the Graphic Designer will include:
As part of the Visual Journalism team, you will undertake the full range of duties as a motion graphic designer for on the day output as well as planned events.
With support from your Senior Designer you will work directly with producers, 3d designers and VizRT programmers to create broadcast and multiplatform graphics
To research and prepare material in support of new design concepts and create working drawings, storyboards and layouts for evaluation and presentation purposes.
To liaise with the senior designer and editorial team to ensure that design work consistently answers the brief in terms of look and feel, accuracy, functionality and brand identity
To have an understanding of BBC News brand strategy and its application across platforms
To deliver to an agreed production schedule
Candidates are expected to embrace a learning culture of constant software usage development. This learning will be supported by the Designers & Senior Designers.
To keep up-to-date with the BBC’s internal editorial and design standards and guidelines.
To work in any area of the department, or undertake a shift pattern as required by the business need. (This will include public holidays, weekend and night shift work).
To work to the BBC’s policy on Health and Safety.
The Ideal Candidate
The required skills, knowledge and experience of the Graphic Designer must include:
- Some professional experience of graphic design work, and a relevant design qualification.
- Demonstrable experience as a motion graphic designer within television or multi-media production.
- The ability to work independently and to contribute to the design team.
- The ability to work quickly and creatively under pressure and deliver against set deadlines.
- The ability to prioritise effectively.
- Good communication skills to ensure editorial expectations are understood and realistic
- Understand the importance of designing for a given target audience.
- Committed and enthusiastic about Design, Design Software, a natural curiosity about News and Design innovation
- Editorial awareness and an up-to-date knowledge of the News agenda would be a distinct advantage. Training will be given to meet the BBC’s Editorial Standards
- Experience of designing delivery using any of the following:
Adobe Creative Suite
Directing live action filming \ video
Computer controlled film / video rostrum
Viz Artist Post holders must
- Demonstrate full command of all techniques and their design language
FTC/Attachment to beginning of November 2016
Job share applications are welcome for this role. Please include detail of the proposed arrangement in your application.
This role is also available part-time. Please include details of your availability in your application.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.