The BBC aims to stimulate and delight audiences across the UK with distinctive, creative content. To support this aim, BBC Design & Engineering is entering a period of significant and exciting change, merging multi-disciplinary technology teams from public service and Worldwide in order to define a BBC fit for the next generation.
The vision is simple: The new division will lead the work to re-engineer the BBC, making it into a more agile, more creative and more confident organisation for the Digital age. This complex transformation will enable us to deliver our mission to Inform, Educate and Entertain our audiences in new and distinctive ways.
The Head of Architecture - Product will work as part of a multi-specialist leadership team reporting to the Chief Architect. You will define and lead the BBC’s Technology Strategy and Architecture community, transforming the BBC’s capabilities and enabling the next generation of Broadcast and Digital services.
You will lead the vision , Architecture and Technical direction for Audience facing products & Services, developing standardised, reusable and innovative architectures which direct investment, bringing value and innovation to BBC divisions and the BBC’s external partner network.
You will build and lead a flexible team which will ensure that the technology and business vision is supported by a fit-for-purpose, sustainable yet adaptable product architecture which enables the BBC to deliver its ambitious mission and to remain secure, reliable and deliver value for money to the entire BBC’s audience.
As Head of Architecture – Product you will:
- Work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary leadership team to participate in the creation of a Technology Strategy and Architectures which deliver adaptable, scalable platforms across the BBC
- Within Product you will lead the development, adoption and monitoring of an implementable Technology Strategy, Architecture and Forward Plan which are designed to allow the BBC to exploit new technologies and to evolve and transform working practices in a measurable way.
- Identify opportunities, challenges and issues within the BBC, positively challenging the status quo and accepted ways of working
- Lead the development and communication of emerging technologies, approaches and architectures within product that will enable the BBC to deliver its objectives and seize opportunities in a timely manner
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams solving business challenges in complex, brownfield environments through active reuse, generalisation, innovation and by striving for improved predictability, performance, efficiency, effectiveness and elasticity
- Take ownership for developing creative solutions which deliver business benefit
- Identify innovative and emergent technologies and approaches within product architecture and lead the incubation and piloting of these to identify business value and technical feasibility
- Grow and develop a team that has the skills, knowledge and experience to identify, develop and champion emerging architectures
- Coach and mentor less experienced members of the Architectural team and the broader Design and Engineering community.
The Ideal Candidate
If Architecture is your love the BBC can offer challenges and opportunities that really make a difference. By working with brilliant people, on cutting edge technology your solutions will delight and inform an audience of billions.
You will have a broad range of career opportunities working on compelling technical and business challenges. You will create high-value, scalable and reliable solutions for the future of the broadcasting. And you'll have the opportunity to lead the industry and set global standards. We offer you a unique opportunity to design, deliver and influence the content and strategic direction of the BBC.
To be considered for this opportunity, we are looking for a talented Senior Architecture professional with the following skills and experience:
- Exposure to leading transformational change in multiple technology and organisation environments. You have been the lead technical interface to the business, commercial and supplier teams across a variety of scales.
- Evidence of having scoped complex business problems and shaped an effective architecture approach in advance of implementation & deployment activity.
- Deep experience of successfully transforming technology and business processes
- Data and evidence-based approach to decision making with a creative and driven approach to problem-solving
- Able to convey complex information across multiple audiences, including senior and external partners. Communicate enthusiastically and motivate others by adapting your style to fit the audience
- Lead the objective assessment of suppliers in competitive procurement processes, comfortable to manage the subsequent ongoing business and project relationships.
- Collaborative, generous and empathetic. Comfortable to deliver with and through others. You will possess the ability to build team cohesion through understanding team dynamics and interpersonal relationships.
- Dedicated to connecting across the organisation with an open approach and a willingness to adapt and change
- Fluent in the financial and business implications of particular architecture choices and alternatives
- Negotiating and conflict-handling skills to ensure the best outcome for the BBC in the face of complexity and uncertainty
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.