Why consider BBC Studios and this role?
Branded Entertainment melds commercial and creative in a world where the most visionary can excel and bring together partnerships that can deliver real impact and resonate with audiences around the world.
If you like to think differently and are keen to influence creative campaigns with a fresh approach – then this role offers the opportunity for you to drive creative innovation for commercial brands and platforms.
In this role, your media agency, creative agency or commercial broadcaster/platform background and your strong network of contacts can help drive new content opportunities for both BBC Studios and brands alike. This is a role where you will be empowered to match-make brands with our creative development teams in order to deliver powerful creative TV content and digital campaigns that will be distributed around the world.
Background and scope:
The Digital and Business Development team in BBC Studios Productions look after the digital, AVOD, social media, audio and branded content activities for the business, working in collaboration with our genre production teams. The team leads on our Branded Entertainment activities, account managing media agency relationships and broadcast & platform partnerships, working collaboratively across our production teams to generate compelling video, digital and campaign solutions for brands and clients.
We are looking for a Head of Branded Entertainment to lead this area of the business, supporting our production genre strategies by driving growth in our branded revenues and building our partnership network. The role will work with senior management to share knowledge and intelligence and drive commercial innovation in this space, in order to originate and deliver powerful ad-funded TV series and digital content campaigns. The role will also involve senior account management of media agency clients, new customer acquisition, oversight of our branded production pipeline, and ongoing business development in order to identify new commercial opportunities for the business.
- You’ll use your nurturing and savvy relationship building capabilities to engage with agencies and sales houses to identify new sales opportunities and create strategic and operational plans for agencies and brands
- You’ll use your charisma to build and maintain relationships with commercial/branded teams in broadcasters and platforms to enable strong distribution networks of branded campaigns
- You’ll work with Productions’ genre labels to develop branded entertainment strategies for each area of the business, agreeing revenue targets and a business plan to deliver them – extensive deal-making experience and strong negotiating skills will be key here.
- You’ll be driven to generate sales leads for production labels and will expect to work in full collaboration with creative teams to originate and pitch successful branded entertainment solutions to clients
- Using your knowledge and insight you will provide regular intelligence to production teams on the branded entertainment market, competitor activity and emerging trends to help inform strategy
- A great networker, you’ll enjoy attending key branded entertainment forums/events to increase the network of contacts, develop relationships and gain insights into potential new business opportunities.
- You’ll quicky gain oversight of key stakeholders and all aspects of the project cycle to ensure project is managed successfully in order to meet and exceed client’s expectations
- With your compliance hat on you’ll ensure all genre commercial activity is in line with BBC’s commercial policy and Fair Trading Guidelines and does not bring the BBC Brand into disrepute or expose us to financial risk
- You’ll oversee the negotation of commercial terms with clients and work closely with Legal, Commercial and Finance teams to manage contracting, financial forecasting and income reporting. Whilst we need you to identify and convert amazing partnerships – they also need to work commercially
- You’ll be experienced at seeking and analysing post-campaign feedback from broadcasters, agencies and clients to assess their satisfaction with projects delivered. You’ll take great pride in positive results
The Ideal Candidate
- You will have an excellent, established network of media agency and brand-direct relationships and a thorough understanding of the TV and digital branded entertainment business.
- You will have experience of working on a range of multi-platform UK and global campaigns, and a portfolio of successfully delivered projects.
- You will have an understanding of the TV production process, deadlines and timescales, and be able to interpret client briefs for creative development teams.
- You will have a strong track record of driving new business and securing deals and love doing it.
- You’ll demonstrate exemplary communication & numerical skills, be collaborative, resilient, have a positive attitude, and a strong desire to make things happen.
- And you will be able to produce compelling pitch documents and reports for clients and key stakeholders – all with a natural and engaging style.
What do you get in return?
- A competitive salary aligned to the role
- 26 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- A contributory pension, discounted health and gym and a range of other benefits
- A culture of learning where you can expand your work credentials and develop your personal brand
- An environment where well-being and people first is an actual thing – a place where different is encouraged and where collaboration and respect is the norm.
Contract Type: 12 Month FTC
Working Pattern: Hybrid Working (Home-based plus two/three days a week in the office)
We are really proud to share that we are a Level 2 Disability Confident Employer and so if you require any reasonable adjustments in order to apply please do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the job reference in the subject. We advertise all our roles on Evenbreak, the specialist job board for disabled candidates
- Flexible/agile working - opportunities across the business. We’re happy to discuss a formal flexible working pattern. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at the offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certifications.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (plus an additional day which is a Corporation Day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background. We strive to be the best British content company in the world, attracting the best creative talents in the business, so that we can bring premium quality award-winning programmes, content and brands to the viewer no matter where they are.
The BBC Group has set out the first in a new series of bold steps to transform our programming and better represent the public we serve. We have the biggest financial investment to on-air inclusion in the industry, together with our existing commissioning budget, we are committed to throwing open our doors more widely than ever to diverse stories and diverse storytellers. Together with a diverse workforce we will accelerate the pace of change in increasing diversity and inclusion both on and off air
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please visit our website.