Head of Content Management, Unscripted - Factual
BBC Studios is a powerhouse of bold British creative content. The BBCs main TV production arm, we lead the way in creative storytelling, and were known and celebrated around the world for the quality of our programmes.
A unique combination of our BBC editorial values, cutting-edge craft, and access to diverse creative talent from around the country, helps us produce the boldest of ideas. In April 2017 we launched as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the BBC, working with customers around the world and generating financial returns for license fee payers.
Unscripted Productions delivers approximately 400 hours of content per year from London, Bristol, Cardiff and Belfast. The business comprises of a significant number of returning series but is also focussed on winning new IP.
Based in Bristol, the Head of Content Management will lead the department operations with responsibility for the management of the returning strands, Production Management and the Commercial team.
The role will work with the Genre Director to define and deliver the business and commercial strategy for Unscripted. With overall responsibility for the Unscripted P&L and with significant operational and people management responsibility they will shape, plan, manage and deliver productions.
Working with the Genre Director to define and deliver the business and commercial strategy for the business area, leading the editorial and business teams to ensure maximum value creation, ensuring the health of the pipeline, appropriate investment in development, an aligned approach to market opportunities and careful delivery of titles won. Driving new business from both the BBC and the broader market, ensuring margins are met whilst quality is maintained.
Delivery of commercial and business strategy
- Development and implementation of commercial, operational and financial plans for the business area and the long-term content strategy across all platforms, highlighting, balancing and mitigating areas of risk.
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting on performance against objectives and key performance indicators.
- Accountable, with senior editorial colleagues, for identifying new customers and managing existing customers in order to win new business.
- Ensure sufficient development effort to secure a strong pipeline of content.
- Manage and reduce overheads where possible.
- Deliver margins whilst ensuring continued commitment to creative excellence and quality.
- Driving efficient and effective deployment of approved technologies on productions.
- Responsible for engaging with all parts of the BBC Group as required and ensuring that the business area is represented where appropriate, in terms of technology projects for example, and championing the rationale for those.
- To ensure the smooth deployment and adoption of production related technology to deliver efficiency and effectiveness to the business area.
- Leading strategic business planning and supporting the securing of commercial business from all broadcasters and commissioning partners.
- Working with the Head of CRBA to ensure maximum value is extracted from IP
- Creating and ensuring a culture of the Business Area being a great place to work
- Make people management a key priority for leaders two way feedback, managed career progression, meaningful appraisal processes etc.
- Ensure successors are identified or plans are in place for critical roles across the business area.
Shape and plan productions
- Ensure commissioning requirements are fully understood in order to develop viable proposals.
- Accountable for ensuring the price of each commission is agreed with commissioners and that complete delivery is feasible within the proposed timeframe and budget.
- Accountable for the green light process for all of the Business Areas productions regardless of platform, authorising the start of productions, ensuring resources and editorial aspirations are aligned.
- Work closely with colleagues to identify opportunities for commercial exploitation at an early stage and ensure the requirements of commercial investors are achievable. Accountable for highlighting any public service issues relating to commercial exploitation of content.
- Responsible for planning and managing capacity (resources and people) in line with strategic objectives and commissions won from all clients
- Always looking at the lifetime value of content, ensuring development funds are aligned with the value chain, and that deals done maximize return for BBC Studios.
Manage and deliver productions
- Accountable for ensuring an understanding of - and compliance with BBC Studios policies, guidelines, legislative and regulatory requirements (with particular emphasis on Health & Safety and Editorial Policy) in order to minimise the BBCs exposure to risk.
- Accountable for ensuring production teams understand the vital importance of acquiring all necessary rights in a timely manner to enable BBC Studios and commercial partners to produce, broadcast and otherwise exploit its content.
- Lead in the negotiations for on-air talent and key contributors where necessary.
- Accountable for delivering demonstrable value for money through effective management of people and resources.
Plan and manage finances within Business Area
- Accountable for decisions required to manage the financial and operational performance of the production area based on expert knowledge and financial information.
- Responsible for the strategic allocation of funding and - where necessary approving, setting, reviewing and monitoring development and production budgets.
- Oversees assessment of the financial viability of content ideas, identifying and mitigating any risks, with a view to maximizing value of intellectual property.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate financial support is provided by Finance on high financial risk/complex productions and/or across a portfolio of productions.
Manage media assets
- Accountable for ensuring robust processes are in place throughout the development and production process for fully and accurately capturing and managing metadata in line with guidelines and policies.
- Accountable (with support from editorial colleagues) for ensuring Information & Archives have the necessary information to efficiently manage, retain and delete media assets.
- Accountable for ensuring we realize value of our IP by making our rushes available for re-use.
Manage the performance of production areas
- Ensures adequate training, development and performance management arrangements are in place in line with BBC guidelines and policies.
- Accountable for integrating safety and risk management into the production process. Advises on safety and risk issues and agrees BBC Studios safety action plans.
- Ensure we do the best possible deals for our productions, joining up our buying power across BBC Studios as appropriate.
The Ideal Candidate
- Extensive experience of production and production management across a broad range of output in the genre and of managing a significant production area or business.
- Substantial knowledge of end-to-end multi-platform production with a level of technical understanding in order to maximise the potential value of content.
- Up-to-date understanding of the BBCs diverse audiences and uses this to help shape creative and engaging output.
- Strong leadership skills, with a proven ability to drive and lead change in a production environment.
- Proven experience of effective participation in major programmes; experience of runningportfolios of projects; experience of managing dependencies and trade-offsbetween projects.
- Considerable experience of long-term planning and leading people, teams and resources around complex schedules and budgets.
- Advanced influencing and negotiating skills - able to influence development of policies, major projects, and negotiations with talent and various types of supplier and resources.
- Excellent business and finance skills. Proven business planning skills - able to develop and manage major business cases and associated budgets.
- Understands the potential of new technologies and systems and considers the impact of their introduction in production.
- Extensive knowledge of commissioning and green light procedures in order to develop and implement best practice and adapt to changing commissioning and compliance requirements.
- Experience of leading large and diverse teams across a broad range of output and locations. Experience of managing and leading at a distance. First-class leadership skills linked to formal training, coupled with demonstrable experience of inspiring and motivating a results-driven team.
- Proven Experience of leading change and continuous improvement programmes and recommends and implements courses of action which are of benefit to the organization. Proven experience of developing and successfully implementing strategy.
- Experience of leading change across a large production base
- Experience of managing co-productions and/or complex rights and funding models.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Extensive experience of managing and monitoring Health & Safety, supported by recognised formal Health & Safety training (including Risk Assessment).
- Extensive knowledge of BBC Values, policies, procedures and guidelines, including Health & Safety and Editorial Guidelines.
- Has a thorough knowledge of all BBCs legal, contractual agreements and regulations as they apply to programmemaking, broadcasting and digital media.
- Substantial and up-to-date knowledge of the BBC and the wider industry.
- Experience of working effectively with the Trade Unions.
- Experience of introducing new technologies/systems into a business
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.