Head of Data Management (Data Science Solutions)
WHO it’s with:
This role is based in the Newsroom in New Broadcasting House, in the heart of BBC News’s editorial operation and reports to the Director of News Products & Systems. You’ll lead our Data Science capability that powers the work of our Audience Engagement team, working closely with the Head of Product to create tools and product features that will change users relationship with the BBC.
WHAT you’ll be doing:
As a Head of Data Science Solutions you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to ensure that BBC News’s data science products and services are implemented and matured across BBC newsrooms. Working alongside the Head of Audience Engagement you will lead a team of Data Scientists and Analysts to drive the development of the data-led newsroom. You will design and (with engineering resource dedicated to the team) build and deploy software and systems that help journalists attract the widest possible audience for our content and build reach with underserved audiences.
This is a multifaceted role where no two days are the same however an average could see you…
- Leading the data science work in News Products & Systems, including coordination, work planning and keeping the stakeholders engaged and informed.
- Building developing and manage the data science and team in News P&S, working collaboratively with the Heads of Data Science in TSA and M&A.
- Working with the News P&S Engineering and Product teams on design, build and delivering tools for journalists and algorithmic audience-facing elements of the BBC News website.
- Developing the longer term direction and vision for the application of data science in the Newsroom.
- Applying advanced statistical and predictive modeling techniques to build, maintain, and improve on multiple real-time decision systems in BBC News.
The Ideal Candidate
WHAT you’ll need:
- Masters in mathematics, statistics or computer science or related field; PHD degree preferred, OR equivalent experience.
- Substantial relevant quantitative and qualitative research and analytics experience.
- The ability to come up with solutions to loosely defined business problems by leveraging pattern detection over potentially large datasets.
- Programming and statistical modeling skills.
- Strong experience using machine learning algorithms.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience leading and developing teams.
WHY you’ll want it
- BBC News is the most trusted and most used source of news in the UK, and one of the biggest global brands publishing in 40 languages.
- Your work in this role has the potential to change the way millions of people around the world discover and engage with the news that matters most to them
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.