This role leads the Digital activity within the BBC Academy, and will be responsible for the engagement and user experience of Academy users and delegates across all digital channels including virtual and online learning, web, mobile, social and emerging channels for the BBC.
The postholder will be instrumental in ensuring the Academy is aligned to the BBC’s digital strategy, and promoting best practice digital working across the industry.
As part of the Academy Leadership team, specific responsibilities will include:
• Leading the Academy’s digital strategy in partnerships with Digital and Engineering
• Developing the Academy’s digital infrastructure and technology across all digital channels including virtual and online learning, web, mobile, social and emerging e-channels
• Delivering the platforms that support high impact digital learning
• Delivering a unified digital presence that reflects the BBC Academy brand identity, integrated learning proposition and creative ambition
• Achieving a consistent editorial and user experience across the BBC Academy’s digital activity
• Devising strategies to drive engagement and cultural acceptance of learning via digital channels
The Head of Digital will work closely with the Academy Director and the Academy’s Leadership Team to create and then deliver the Academy’s digital strategy, ensuring that it is consistent with the BBC’s overarching digital roadmap
Responsible for making sure the Academy’s digital principles are aligned to the Academy vision and mission, adhering to the agreed following principles:
- Digital – and, where possible mobile – first
- Open - to all and externally facing wherever possible
- Engaging - with clear, measurable feedback for all activity
- User centric – consistent, scalable and flexible
- English language only – unless for Global News services
You will ensure that the focus of the Digital capability is on a ‘buy not build’ basis, using the best of the market and the BBC wherever possible, delivering platforms which are flexible yet consistent – reflecting the single BBC Academy brand – and all digital platforms are procured in accordance with the BBC’s procurement policies and governance.
As a member of the senior management team of the BBC Academy, you will play a key enabling role in driving the change agenda - specifically, working to embed new ways of working and enduring cultural change within the Academy.
The succesful candidate will alo be expected to:
- Deliver innovation to the Academy, with products which support the BBC and the Academy’s digital ambitions, using multiple digital channels beyond the traditional training room
- Identify and deliver a staffing model for digital activity which is agile and contains the skills and expertise required, throughout all stages of design and delivery including sourcing from the wider BBC and the external market where that is the most appropriate and cost effective approach.
- Where necessary, to identify and manage accredited suppliers, ensuring compliance with appropriate legal and procurement obligations
- Work closely with others in the Academy Leadership team to ensure that platforms and technology infrastructure support the wider efficiency and effectiveness of the Academy
- To be aware of the full extent of the financial and purchasing authority and accountabilities of this role.
- To support the Academy Director in the leadership and management of the Academy, being a key member of the senior team, and to lead and manage individuals and/or teams of staff as directed
- To represent the BBC Academy to internal and external stakeholders where appropriate.
- Build a high performing and collaborative team that meets the needs of its stakeholder groups ensuring the needs of the audience and licence fee payers are equally met and that all training activity complies with editorial guidelines ensuring consistency and high standards
- To promote diversity on behalf of the BBC as an employer, putting together diverse and creative teams, reflecting the diverse nature of BBC audiences
The Ideal Candidate
- A clear understanding of the BBC’s existing technology infrastructure, online roadmap, and also of key technologies and platforms in the external market
- Proven programme and product management skills; the ability to manage the entire lifecycle of multiple projects with competing demands for limited resources
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of Learning Management Systems, Content Management Systems, Web Interface Design, User Experience best practice, and other digital requirements for a large training organisation
- Brilliant understanding and ideas regarding the potential learning applications of social media
- Clear understanding of best practice regarding referencing, searching and recommending digital content
- Highly proficient at communicating effectively and clearly in a wide range of situations – to both internal and external stakeholders – at formal and informal events and meetings
- Proven record of building and maintaining strong relationships with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Strong experience of inspiring, managing and leading creative, diverse and virtual teams
- Experience of leading change in a complex environment and dealing under pressure and with ambiguity
- The ability to contribute to the strategic debate around digital, both within the Academy and the wider BBC and broadcasting industry
- Track record of directing and delivering strategic development issues and innovation in an environment of comparable complexity is desirable
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.