Head of Distribution - Digital Partnerships
New technologies are changing the world at an incredible pace – this change is creating both challenges and opportunities for media companies. Does the idea of solving these challenges and capitalising on these opportunities excite you? Do you have experience working at the intersection of digital technology and media? If so, then this could be the role for you.
This is an opportunity to work at the world’s leading broadcaster, partner with the most exciting companies in the world, innovate with cutting edge technologies and help guide the BBC through this exciting time.
From the birth of radio, through to colour TV, internet, mobile and most recently voice interfaces and virtual reality, the BBC has been at the cutting edge of media for almost 100 years. The BBC brand is one of the most popular in the UK and one of the most trusted around the world. The BBC reaches over 91% of UK adults each week via its TV, radio and online services and has a portfolio of world-class digital products such as BBC iPlayer, BBC News and BBC Sounds.
We are looking for a talented individual to lead the BBC’s Digital Partnerships team, working in Distribution & Business Development to help reinvent the BBC for a new generation.
This business development team leads the BBC’s engagement with global technology companies such as Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon and Microsoft as well as a range of start-ups and digital agencies. The team looks at how the BBC can distribute the BBC’s services on new and emerging digital platforms (e.g. YouTube, smartphones, social media) and how to bring exciting third party innovations and technologies into the BBC to help create and deliver new audience experiences. The team works at the cutting edge of digital media and develops strategies in digital content areas, ranging from podcasts to digital news
In this role you will be passionate about and responsible for:
- INSIGHT – Successfully predicting the future of media.
- RELATIONSHIPS – Developing long-standing trusted relationships and partnerships.
- NEGOTIATING – Negotiating complex deals.
- STRATEGY – Developing and delivering digital strategies.
- TEAM MANAGEMENT – Managing a team and delivering impact through others.
Are you the right candidate?
To succeed in this role, you will need to:
- HAVE A PASSION FOR DIGITAL MEDIA – Have a passion for and detailed knowledge of new digital technologies and understand how they are changing the media landscape across all genres and areas (e.g. TV, radio, music, news etc),
- KNOW HOW TO INFLUENCE PEOPLE AND BUILD RELATIONSHIPS – Know how to influence people, build trusted business relationships and work with people at all levels across an organisation, ranging from entry level employees to board level leaders.
- BE AN EXPERT NEGOTIATOR – Have significant experience negotiating complex deals, working with lawyers and managing a range of different stakeholder interests.
- BE CONFIDENT – Enjoy presenting business cases and ideas to senior executives.
- HAVE EXPERIENCE MANAGING A TEAM – Have a track record of managing a high-impact team.
- BE SKILLED IN MAKING THE COMPLEX SIMPLE – Have an ability to summarise complex concepts in a simple and concise way and have first-class writing skills.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, W12
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here